From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCC Travels to Bosnia

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 19 May 1998 15:14:00

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.
Contact: Wendy S. McDowell, NCC, 212-870-2227
Internet:  news@ncccusa.org

50NCC5/19/98                   FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NCC EMERGENCY RESPONSE STAFF AND SUPPORTERS
TRAVEL TO BOSNIA

 NEW YORK, May 19 ---- Seven staff and supporters of
the National Council of Churches (NCC) Emergency Response
Program will travel to Bosnia May 20-26 to visit Church
World Service humanitarian projects and observe the current
conditions there firsthand.

 Church World Service (CWS) is the refugee assistance,
humanitarian response and human development ministry of the
NCC.  CWS responds to human need in more than 70 countries
around the world, including the U.S.

 "The group will familiarize themselves with the
situation in Bosnia, particularly the continued needs of
people and institutions recovering from war, will visit
with Church World Service staff and programs, and will
witness the delivery of school and health kits to schools
in the greater Sarajevo area," said the Rev. Paul Wilson,
Director of the NCC's Europe Office and a minister in the
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).

 The stops will include refugee camps in Konjic, where
the visitors will face "probably the most critical issue
people in the Balkans are facing - that of refugees and
people who have been internally displaced by war," said
Rev. Wilson.  "At issue is how to create hospitable
communities for people who are a minority population but
want to return home.  As religious people, we will advocate
for radical hospitality, which goes counter to the
nationalistic fervor that is prevalent in the region."

Other visits will include an orthopedic clinic where
prostheses are manufactured and the community of Nahorevo,
where visitors will lunch with local people who received
cows through a unique development project begun in 1996.
The CWS cow project provided cows for families forcibly
displaced from their homes.  Because a cow can move, it was
considered an ideal gift to help families toward self
sufficiency.  The recipients repay their gift in milk and
cheese through a local charity that will pass it on to some
of Sarajevo's neediest.

-more-

NCC5/19/98
BOSNIA TRIP/Page 2

 "We will also meet with representatives from our
partners in the region, which include the Red Crescent
Society, the Red Cross and La Benevolencija, a Jewish non-
governmental organization and with governmental
representatives form the UNHCR and USAID," Rev. Wilson
said.

 Since March 1993, CWS has given $19 million in
humanitarian aid to war-ravaged Bosnia.  For the first few
years, CWS concentrated on emergency assistance such as
blankets, food, health and school kits and clothing,
including a project providing children's underwear and
shoes.  Since 1996, CWS has moved from direct service to
longer term development projects in order to empower people
back to work including agricultural projects, textiles and
light manufacturing.  CWS has financed micro-enterprise
projects including: egg, fish and sheep farms, a beekeeping
operation, an industrial quicklime production project, a
home-based sewing project, a computer training project and
a metal fabrication plant.

 "Almost all of the beneficiaries of our projects are
victims of war," Rev. Wilson said.  "Through this kind of
development, carried out with our partners in the region
and designed to reestablish jobs and facilities, we are
trying to help make peace more attractive than war."

 In addition to Rev. Wilson, others who will travel to
Bosnia include: Ms. Linda Hartke (Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America), Director of Operations for CWS/NCC; Ms.
Donna Derr, International Disaster Response Consultant for
the CWS/NCC Emergency Response Office; the Rev. Kermit
DeGraffenreidt, an AME Zion minister and member of the CWS
Europe Committee; the Rev. Johnny Wray, Director of the
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) Week of Compassion;
Mr. Gary Barnard, member of the CC (Disciples) Week of
Compassion Committee, and Ms. Linda Petrucelli, Executive
for the Global Sharing of Resources for the United Church
Board for World Ministries.

-end-
 -0-