From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Congregations Learn about 21st Century Evangelism

From Brenda Williams <BRENDAW@elca.org>
Date 21 May 1998 10:30:43

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

May 20, 1998

ELCA CONGREGATIONS LEARN ABOUT 21ST CENTURY EVANGELISM
98-18-114-MR

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America are learning to rely on one another for care and depend less on the
pastor as the one-and-only care-giver, according to the Rev. Marta
Poling-Goldenne, an ELCA director for evangelism.  The idea of laity-led
ministry will be shared in Los Angeles, July 17-18, at "Evangelism Connections
1998," an ecumenical conference on "21st century Evangelism."
     "Prayer, guidance and accountability among Christians are replacing
... pastor-exclusive chaplaincy," said Poling-Goldenne.
     At King of Kings Lutheran Church, Shelby Township, Mich., "We are
here to be the church to one another," said the Rev. Louis R. Forney.  In
an interview Forney said,  "It's become the culture here that people care
for one another and count less on clergy to be the primary care-giver."
     King of Kings was formed seven years ago and now has a baptized
membership of 900 people.  "As membership increased, it became difficult
for me to make all of the hospital calls and touch base with people going
through difficult times," Forney said.  "I looked to the Bible for some
other models of doing ministry and learned that ministry should not be in
the hands of the pastor alone.  Everyone, through Baptism, is called to be
a minister."
     Forney said he defines the role of a pastor as a trainer, mentor and
permission-giver.  "My role is to teach people and let them know they can
do ministry with one another," he said.
     "ELCA congregations use support groups, care groups and small group
ministries to empower members to care for one another through the storms of
life," said Poling-Goldenne.  "Small group ministry is also a powerful way
to invite people to church."
     "Small group ministries at our church are designed for members to
develop relationships with others and God," said Patricia Liles Smith, an
associate in ministry at Community Lutheran Church, Las Vegas.  "Small
groups provide a support system for new church members.  It is a way to
make friends and build relationships, reasons why people join a church."
Smith will be a keynote presenter at Evangelism Connections.
     Lutheran congregations are also learning to interpret the gospel in
ways that make sense to the unchurched and non-Christians, said Poling-Goldenne.
"Congregations that prosper use everyday language to connect
with their neighbors.  They are caring enough to translate the old story
into new and different languages with communication strategies that
truly connect people of all ages," she said.
     "Congregations are also learning to reach beyond church walls to
bring healing, morality and value formation into the real world of daily
living," said Poling-Goldenne.  "Congregations know that their greatest
value lies in how well they help Christians live in the real world."
     The Evangelism Connections event features 10 workshops on topics that
range from small group ministry to music for worship services.  The event
will be "a partnership of seven mainline Protestant denominations focusing
on the ministry of evangelism," said Poling-Goldenne.  "We are bringing
people together to teach one another about ministry.  This is the new model
for ecumenism for the 21st century.  It is not a model based on policy and
theology handed down from the top, but a model based on bringing
congregations together to share and teach each other about what works," she
said.
     The first Evangelism Connections took place April 17-18 in Atlanta.
Another event is scheduled for Nov. 6-7 in Cincinnati.

For information contact:
Ann Hafften, Director (773) 380-2958 or NEWS@ELCA.ORG
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html