From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

EA NEWS: Evangelical Alliance makes further Human Rights Bill pl

From "EAUK Press Office" <press@eauk.org>
Date 27 May 1998 06:56:47

Apologies if this is a duplicate - we are experiencing difficulties
with our distribution lists.

Evangelical Alliance makes further Human Rights Bill plea
For Immediate Release: 20/5/98

Christian charitable organisations could find themselves being taken
to court for hiring only Christian staff, despite safeguards inserted
into legislation by the Government this week aimed at securing the
rights of churches and church schools to maintain Christians-only
employment policies.

The Evangelical Alliance UK has written to Jack Straw, Home Secretary,
thanking him for changes to the School Standards and Framework Bill
and the Human Rights Bill which protect the religious freedom of
churches and church schools. As presently drafted the Home Secretary's
amendment does not define 'religious organisation' and the Alliance is
concerned that some of its members, whose principal activity is caring
for vulnerable people, might not be covered by the new clause.

Martyn Eden, Public Affairs director of the Alliance, says: "We are
very pleased with the safeguards securing the right for churches and
church schools to hire Christians, but we remain concerned that once
the Human Rights Bill is passed an avowed humanist refused a position
with a Christian voluntary body caring for people with disabilities
could be deemed to have suffered discrimination."

Mr Eden continued: "This is not special pleading on behalf of
charitable organisations. Rather it is protecting their existing
religious freedom. Central to the work of many charities are
distinctly Christian values, ethics and practices. To be forced to
hire people of other faiths or no faith at all would for some agencies
undermine their very existence and the distinctly Christian quality of
their care."

Ends

For information contact:
Keith Ewing 0171 207 2116 mailto:kewing@eauk.org