From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

EA NEWS: Northern Ireland: Call to Constructive Engagement

From "EAUK Press Office" <press@eauk.org>
Date 28 May 1998 01:50:18

We apologise if this is a duplicate, we have now sorted out our
distribution problems.

Northern Ireland: Call to Constructive Engagement
For Immediate Release: 23/5/98

The Northern Ireland Evangelical Alliance has appealed for Christians
to be 'bringers of hope' and to constructively engage with the
opportunities and challenges which lie ahead for the Province
following today's 'yes' votes in the referenda on the Good Friday
Agreement.

Rev David McCarthy, General Secretary of the Northern Ireland
Evangelical Alliance, said: "The Agreement accepted by the majority of
voters in Northern Ireland and in the Republic of Ireland presents
people with new ways to engage with one another and express respect
for one another.

"As Christians relate to the new political reality we must continue to
actively engage with other community and voluntary groups, government
and other agencies in order to effectively share our Christian
insights, and we must also develop more strategic thinking o
socio-political issues as we move towards a functioning, elected
Assembly. It would be sad if Christians sidelined themselves from the
opportunities that are potentially emerging."

Acknowledging the divisions that still exist within sections of the
evangelical community about the Good Friday Agreement, Mr McCarthy
added: "As Christians we are called to be bringers of hope to our
society. One way we can demonstrate this is by loving our neighbours
as much as we love ourselves, no matter how they voted in the
referenda. As part of the western world which is searching for some
sense to life, Northern Ireland needs not only to hear about Christian
values, but to see them worked out in practices.

Ends

For further information contact
EA communications officers:
Keith Ewing 0171 207 2116 mailto:kewing@eauk.org