From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCC Condemn Bomb Threat Against MCC

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 02 Jun 1998 16:13:28

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.
Contact: Wendy S. McDowell, NCC, 212-870-2227
Internet:  news@ncccusa.org

55NCC6/2/98                      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NCC GENERAL SECRETARY CONDEMNS BOMB THREAT AGAINST MCC
CHURCH

 NEW YORK, June 2 ---- The Rev. Dr. Joan Brown
Campbell, General Secretary of the National Council of
Churches (NCC), wrote a May 29 letter to the Universal
Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches condemning
the bombing threat to a Metropolitan Community Church
congregation in Bournemouth, England.

 "Our experience with the burning of Black churches in
the United States has been an object lesson to us in the
ways thoughts and words of hatred and bigotry are quickly
transmitted into deeds of destruction," Dr. Campbell wrote.
"My deepest sorrow comes from the fact that such threats
and deeds are carried out in the false belief that they are
motivated by Christian faith.  The Gospel of our Lord
without exception proclaims love of neighbor and the
dignity of all persons."

 The National Council of Churches (NCC) is the
nation's preeminent ecumenical organization, comprising 34
Protestant and Orthodox member communions with a combined
membership of 52 million people.

 The letter was sent to the Rev. Troy D. Perry,
founder and moderator of the Universal Fellowship of
Metropolitan Community Churches (UFMCC), headquartered in
West Hollywood, Calif.  In a press release issued from the
UFMCC, Rev. Perry said, "These threats are still another
reminder of the important work we have yet to accomplish on
behalf of gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgendered
persons.  This marks the second bomb threat against UFMCC
congregations in the past two months.  Over the past 30
years, more than 20 of our churches have been victimized by
arson or firebombing."

 In April, the 3,000-member Cathedral of Hope
Metropolitan Community Church in Dallas, Texas, the world's
largest predominantly gay and lesbian congregation, was the
target of a bomb threat posted on the Internet.  The
threats are under investigation by the United States
Federal Bureau of Investigation.

 "We are grateful to know that investigations both in
Bournemouth and in Dallas are ongoing," Dr. Campbell also
wrote.  "Our communities will be best served when the
perpetrators are exposed and made accountable under the
law."

 Fundamentalist religion may have played a role in the
latest bomb threat, according to the UFMCC press release.
According to the Rev. Neil Thomas, senior pastor of MCC
Bournemouth, a local fundamentalist church recently
condemned the predominantly gay MCC church.  Tensions were
further heightened when three members of the fundamentalist
church moved their membership to the MCC church.

 UFMCC is an international Christian denomination with
a predominantly gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered
membership numbering 42,000.  UFMCC is composed of 300
congregations in 15 countries.

 The full text of Dr. Campbell's letter follows.

May 29, 1998

The Rev. Troy Perry
Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community
Churches
8704 Santa Monica Boulevard
West Hollywood, California  90069

Dear Troy:

Today I have read with deep sorrow and great
dismay of the bombing threat to the MCC
congregation in Bournemouth, England.  Our
experience of recent years with the burning of
Black Churches in the United States has been an
object lesson to us in the ways thoughts and
words of hatred and bigotry are quickly
transmitted into deeds of destruction.  My
deepest sorrow comes from the fact that such
threats and deeds are carried out in the false
belief that they are motivated by Christian
faith.  The Gospel of our Lord without exception
proclaims love of neighbor and the dignity of
all persons.

On behalf of the National Council of the
Churches of Christ in the USA, I greet you in
the peace of Christ and want you to know that we
uphold you, the MCC churches, clergy and
faithful in our prayers.  We are grateful to
know that investigations both in Bournemouth and
in Dallas are ongoing.  Our communities will be
best served when the perpetrators are exposed
and made accountable under the law.

In these days be upheld in Christ's sure promise
to be with us always.  In His name, we too make
bold to assure you that we stand with and for
you today and in the days ahead.

Grace and Peace,

Joan Brown Campbell
General Secretary