From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

"Feast" NCCCUSA Young Adult Ministry Training

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 08 Jun 1998 19:56:43

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the
U.S.A.
Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2227
Email: news@ncccusa.org
Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2227

56NCC6/8/98    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

YOUNG ADULTS FROM ACROSS THE NATION
"COME TO THE FEAST"

by Kelly Holton, Associate Editor
Wesleyan Christian Advocate*

ATLANTA, Ga., May 25 --- A Memorial Day weekend
conference in Atlanta took young adults and young
adult leaders across denominational lines to
celebrate their common ministries and enhance
efforts to reach young people with the message of
Christ.
"Come to the Feast," an ecumenical training event
sponsored by the Young Adult Ministry Team of the
National Council of Churches, offered participants
the chance to see the best in young adult ministry
around the country. Through workshops, service
projects, shared music and worship opportunities,
those at the event came together as the body of
Christ to share their stories of faith and learn
creative, effective ways to be in ministry to young
adults.
The ecumenical nature of the gathering helped
Tambitha Blanks understand more about similarities
than differences. For Blanks, a member of a
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) young adult
fellowship in Fort Myers, Fla., one of the most
meaningful experiences of the event was "seeing we
all serve one God. Everybody is enriched and
fulfilled in the their way of serving God."
Bible study leader Dr. Minka Sprague, professor of
Old Testament and biblical languages at New York
Theological Seminary, also looked for common ground
in her studies throughout the event. She sees the
Bible as a tool that "anchors us in space and time
and waits for us to get relevant so we can see the
words. We need to find ways to read it together."
Sprague, a deacon in the Episcopal Church, argues
that finding common ways to read scripture will go a
long way toward making members of different faith
traditions one body in Christ. Her studies for the
event included a walk through the creation story of
Genesis 1:1-2:3 "to talk about how finely tuned
God's design is."
Sprague noted that humans are the only creatures
not named for their movement; we are named instead
for being made in the image of God. "We are each of
us only half an image of God," she said. "We are
designed ... to be with each other and looking for
the other in all sorts of ways."
Looking for the other and making room for others
requires Christians to follow Jesus' example of
living life as a guest, argues Sprague.
"He does his life as guest," she said. "He is our
guest as the Christ. We are called to be incarnate
like him. To do that we have to change our concept
of hospitality. It's not our party even when it
looks like it is.
"In creation, like Jesus, we are the guest. ... To
be the guest, we are to take the stillness of the
image ... and be with God in creation. Then we can
give it out and walk it forward and be the body of
Christ."
The image of the guest was played out in the
training event's theme, "Come to the Feast," and in
the array of workshops, service opportunities and
times for worship and fellowship offered to the
diverse group. More than 240 participated, sharing
their methods and ideas for effective ministry with
young adults. Workshops dealt with matters ranging
from living out faith at work, challenging racism,
and spiritual nurture for the self to the nuts and
bolts of building a young adult and college ministry
and the challenges for reaching the post-modern
generation and making ecumenism work at the local
level.
Leadership for the event came from 10
denominations: African Methodist Episcopal, American
Baptist Churches, Christian Church (Disciples of
Christ), Church of the Brethren, Episcopal Church,
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, General
Conference Mennonite Church, Presbyterian Church,
USA, United Church of Christ and United Methodist
Church.  Participants at the workshop represented
all these faith traditions (except Mennonite), with
the addition of one Southern Baptist, several
Catholics and a member of the Lutheran Church in
Zimbabwe.
Service opportunities allowed participants to get
to know each other and Atlanta in a more intimate
way. The Rev. Thomas Rice, associate pastor of
Westminster Presbyterian Church in DeKalb, Ill.,
helped paint a hallway at the William Holmes Borders
House, a community home for men recovering from drug
addiction.
"As a young adult minister to young adults, I feel
service projects are essential," said Rice. "They
build community; they inspire and they teach."
The service opportunities -- another group washed
windows at the Salvation Army Booth Towers -- gave
participants a chance to make the ideas they learned
during the conference more meaningful, said Liz
Bidgood, who along with fellow Church of the
Brethren member and Richmond, Ind., seminary student
Greg Enders, coordinated the service projects.
 "I think we show our faith through our actions. As
Christ has welcomed us, we welcome others. It's important
to learn and discuss topics, but Jesus was a  man of
action. It wasn't enough for Jesus to just talk about
God. I think we're called to live out our faith."
Keynote speaker Andrew Young also called on the group
to live out their faith, recognizing that young adulthood
is a time "when things get stirred up and ... something
upsets the tranquility. Out of struggle comes success."
Young encouraged those in ministry with young adults
to open themselves to new ways of making the message of
Jesus relevant and appealing to young people. He said the
problems of this generation are, in his view, largely
spiritual, resulting from an inability to find meaning in
life.
"The challenge of our ministry is to create over
McDonald's hamburgers and French fries a sacramental
situation. Let young people know God is present in the
midst of them."
The grace of God will lead young people through the
turbulence and trouble of the times, said Young. "There's
nothing you can't understand in faith."
The Rev. Minerva Carcano, a United Methodist pastor
and director of the Mexican American Program at the
Perkins School of Theology at Southern Methodist
University in Dallas, Texas, also spoke of the troubling
times that face  all Christians, times when one can do
nothing but yearn for the presence of Jesus. In her
sermon during the closing worship service, Carcano
described one such time in her own life. During a second
miscarriage in the fourth month of pregnancy, this one on
Christmas Eve, she was placed alone in an operating room
to await the procedure that would terminate her
pregnancy.
Carcano prayed, she said, because pray was all she
could do. She felt the comforting presence of Jesus and
also the loving presence of nurses she knew from her
congregation. These women, Carcano learned later, were
not scheduled to work Christmas Eve, but a shortage of
nurses brought them in.  For Carcano, this beautiful
mystery is proof of Jesus' divine help to her in a period
of bleak darkness and the need for Christian community
that should extend even beyond denominational boundaries.
"It is together that we will discern the presence of
Jesus on our journey of faith," she said. "There will
come moments when Jesus just appears. He'll explode our
expectations. He'll shatter structures that feel really
comfortable to you and me."
As a leader of an ecumenical ministry in New Mexico,
Carcano learned first hand the beauty that can emerge
when familiar structures like denominational identity are
stripped away. She says the experience changed her
ministry, as she watched "mean, crusty Christians" open
their hearts and their churches to others.
"There are things that can only be learned
collectively," she said.
"The journey of faith is lived out in community. We
help each other to see Jesus. We nurture, support, love
and affirm each other's discipleship. As we journey,
Jesus will be with us."
-end-
*The Wesleyan Christian Advocate is the official
newsweekly for United Methodists in Georgia.
 -0-