From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

New PPC Offerings Concern Hubbard Press and Church Officials

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 12 Jun 1998 20:35:09

19-May-1998
98182

    New PPC Offerings Concern
    Hubbard Press and Church Officials

    by Julian Shipp

LOUISVILLE, Ky.-The Presbyterian Publishing Corporation (PPC) recently
announced the addition of an offering envelope service and an electronic
funds transfer stewardship program to its growing list of congregational
resources. However, Hubbard Press and church officials say the new
additions could threaten other church publishing entities, are confusing to
customers and offer a questionable means of practicing stewardship.

    PPC has contracted with American Paper Group's AmericanChurch division
to offer the new resources under the name "Presbyterian Offering Systems."
According to PPC officials, the systems feature weekly offering envelopes
in a variety of styles that can be imprinted with a church's own message
and the option of electronic funds transfer (EFT). PPC officials say these
services help church members develop good stewardship habits and, in turn,
help them reduce budget strains by improving fund-raising efforts.

    "The Presbyterian Offering Systems is a comprehensive program of
offering resources for Presbyterian congregations," said the Rev. Thomas G.
Long, director of Congregational Resources and Geneva Press. "[It's] very
versatile and gives many choices to Presbyterian congregations, large and
small, urban and rural."

    PPC is the official publisher of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) and
produces educational resources for Presbyterian congregations and members,
theological and religious books, and other material for a wider audience.

    Founded by the Rev. William H. Hubbard  in 1911 and turned over to the
Presbyterian Church in 1913, Hubbard Press produces a variety of envelopes
and record forms, but is mandated to sell products solely to PC(USA)
congregations.

                    The Offering Envelope Service

    According to PPC officials, this service includes an envelope mailing
program, customized and basic boxed sets, standard message or custom
message boxed sets, special offering envelopes (including seasonal and
special funding), pew envelopes, visitor cards, multicolored envelopes for
adults and a children's stewardship series.

    Davis Perkins, PPC president and publisher, said the competition factor
with Hubbard Press is "negligible" since Hubbard  has a strong market niche
with boxed offering envelopes and PPC does not compete with them because
Hubbard's product is cheaper.

    Moreover, Perkins said, PPC never claimed it would not compete with
other church publishing entities - except on the official denominational
curriculum - since it is the PC(USA) publisher by order of the 208th
General Assembly (1996).

    "Our program is much more expansive and allows congregations greater
diversity and customization," Perkins told the Presbyterian News Service.
"The electronic funds transfer component in particular will be a tremendous
benefit to our congregations who choose to use it, and this is something
Hubbard doesn't offer. So, as with our Congregational Resources in the
curriculum arena, we are simply providing PC(USA) churches with choices."

    But Robert D. McKee, interim director of the General Assembly Council's
(GAC) Technology and Finance Office (TAFO), said his greatest concern is
the fact that Hubbard Press contributes most of its earnings to the GAC's
mission budget through unrestricted funds. "We've already received $50,000
this year from Hubbard Press," McKee said. "At this point, I don't believe
we're receiving anything from Presbyterian Publishing Corporation, so I
would hope that nothing would happen to destroy the ability of Hubbard
Press to continue that contribution."

    Actually, PPC does contribute to the denomination. For instance, the
corporation donates staff time for production of the every-household
publication "Presbyterians-Being Faithful to Jesus Christ" and recently
initiated the Price H. Gwynn Leadership Series that it sends free of charge
to PC(USA) leaders. PPC also publishes denominational material at a loss as
a service to the denomination (such as the forthcoming Spanish-language
hymnal). Moreover, PPC produced the "Great Ends of the Church" video on
behalf of all six General Assembly entities at its expense.

    McKee also noted that what PPC produces today is not necessarily what
it will produce in the future. For instance, he said, "what if church
members tell PPC they want products that  Hubbard Press currently provides?
Will PPC recommend they order from Hubbard Press or adapt to customer
demand?"

    Debbie Sexton, general manager of Hubbard Press and associate director
of TAFO's Presbyterian Distribution Service, said the fact that PPC has
entered into an agreement with AmericanChurch, one of Hubbard Press's
direct competitors, concerns her for several reasons.

    "[Hubbard Press] obviously has a limited market," Sexton told the
Presbyterian News Service. "But my biggest concern is that customer
confusion will impair our ability to service our customers efficiently.
Customers are calling. They're confused. They're not sure who they've
placed their order with now or who they're supposed to place their order
with."

    "The provider we are using for our program, AmericanChurch, is an
industry leader among mainline Protestant denominations," Perkins said. "We
felt it was time the PC(USA) had the same range of stewardship tools the
United Methodists, ELCAs, Disciples and Southern Baptists have."

              Electronic Funds Transfer Stewardship Program

    "EFT," or electronic funds transfer, is a process by which money is
automatically deducted from a contributor's bank account each month and is
deposited directly, in this case into a church's account. According to PPC
officials, EFT creates a reliable source of funds for a church and can
significantly increase fulfillment of pledges.

    PPC officials say the most apparent benefit is a dependable cash flow,
even from church members who are not able to attend church every Sunday,
such as retired people who travel or live in other areas during the winter
months and business people who spend a great deal of time on the road.

    Perkins said EFT is a "simple and convenient" program for both the
denomination and its members. Contributors find it attractive because it
reduces paperwork and helps keep track of yearly pledges and contributions,
which appear on monthly bank statements. Churches benefit from reduced
overhead costs because there is no need to process checks or send reminder
notices. Regular giving helps churches create budgets that reflect
fund-raising revenues.

    Perkins said PPC discussed its program with GAC personnel before it was
launched. He said Long talked to Sexton and Sandra Sorem, associate
director for stewardship in the Congregational Ministries Division (CMD),
in the hope that PPC could integrate stewardship themes from Sorem's area
into the material offered via PPC's program.

    "The bottom line is that we think the PPC program provides additional
tools for our churches as they endeavor to thrive and not simply survive,"
Perkins said. "The electronic funds transfer is an especially exciting
application of an existing technology, but it's a totally new application
for our churches. In short, we believe our program is a creative response
to the needs and expectations of our members."

    Keith Wulff, the CMD's associate for research services, said that of
the denomination's 2.6 million members, 35 percent are ages 65 and older
and 43 percent are ages 50 and under. Given that, McKee said he wonders how
PPC's EFT program will be received by Presbyterians, who may or may not be
comfortable with using electronic means for making church pledges or
offerings.

    "One of the things that I think people are beginning to look at is how
much of this [EFT] stuff is automatically going to hit their bank account
and how do they keep track of it," McKee said, adding many people already
pay their monthly mortgage, auto and insurance payments through EFTs.

    Claude Godwin, the GAC's associate for mission funding, said he wonders
what will happen to the offering segment of church worship if the majority
(or a significant minority) of a congregation shifts toward EFTs. "Are
people going to feel strange not putting something in the plate?" Godwin
asked.

     "There's been some discussion around providing envelopes or a card
even for people who are doing electronic funds transfer, just so they can
put something in the plate," he said. "I don't have any hard data for you,
but I've heard conversations from people who say that already a majority of
their members are either using electronic funds transfer or are writing one
check a quarter or one check a year."

    It would appear offering envelopes and/or electronic funds transfers
are theologically neutral, and that anything that makes it easier for
Presbyterians to contribute to their church would be Reformed tradition
friendly. But that's not necessarily so, according to the Rev. David
McCreath, the CMD's coordinator for stewardship education.

    That's primarily because the "Directory for Worship" section
(W-2.5003c) of the "Book of Order" states, "During public worship, at an
appropriate time, and as an act of thanksgiving, the tithes and offerings
of the people are gathered and received."

    "That's why I think we have to do something to reclaim the offering,"
McCreath said. "The actual act of doing an electronic funds transfer is no
problem, but how do you do it as a worshipful experience if you don't have
anything to put in the offering plate? That's where Reformed people get in
a bit of a bind."

    The debate is sure to continue, but for the moment many church
officials agree EFTs are not stewardship programs, but another method to
help people pay church pledges. "EFTs should not take the place of
stewardship," Godwin said. "For a church to think `Ah-ha! Now we don't have
to do anything about stewardship - we have electronic funds transfer' would
be a serious mistake."