From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Message of The Presidents of The WCC at Pentecost 1998

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 12 Jun 1998 20:39:40

13-May-1998
98157

    Message of The Presidents of The WCC at Pentecost 1998

Dear Sisters and Brothers in Christ,

    We bring you greetings in the name of the triune God.

    Fifty days after the resurrection of our Lord, the disciples were
praying together in one place.  Part of their mission was completed, yet
they were apprehensive about the direction of
their way into the future.  As they turned to God in prayer, the spirit of
the Lord came upon them and filled them with joy and hope. They were
empowered to break the silence and go back
into the world with renewed vigor to proclaim the Good News.

    Fifty years after the founding of the World Council of Churches, we now
celebrate the year of Jubilee.  At the end of the year, the Eighth Assembly
of the WCC will meet in Harare, Zimbabwe, under the theme: "Turn to God -
Rejoice in Hope."  We recognize that we are not of one accord on all
matters, but we reaffirm our intention to stay together and grow together
towards the fulfilment of the prayer of Jesus for oneness among the
believers.  This celebration will truly be
meaningful only when churches, parishes and individual Christians all over
the world commit themselves to each other and to the common goal of a
united Christian witness.  We encourage you, brothers and sisters, to join
in this celebration wherever you may be placed and to work for the
unity of the people of God in your own situations.

    The Assembly in Harare is called "A Jubilee Assembly."  One of the
striking principles of the biblical Jubilee is the call to right
relationships: right relationships with God, resulting in right
relationships between people and with the earth.

    Consider the way humankind has plundered the resources of the earth -
consider the lack of power sharing between ethnic majorities and
minorities, the social inequalities between classes, races and castes.

    Consider the personal relationships between men and women, old and
young, employers
and employees.  The year of Jubilee is not a time of respite from taking
action for another 50 years.  Rather, Jubilee is a time for immediate
action, the time to bring about drastic and radical changes in situations.

    Therefore we urge you to evaluate the existing pattern of relationships
this season of
Pentecost and to take serious note of the biblical imperatives to transform
these relationships into those based on justice and dignity rather than
charity and pity.

    The wonder and power of that first Pentecost was experienced as the
Holy Spirit came upon a diverse group of people, gathering them in common
witness as all heard and understood the good news being proclaimed.  This
Jubilee year offers us the possibility of a Pentecost moment in the life of
the ecumenical movement.  It is a time to be renewed and empowered to
proclaim the good news in ways that can be understood by all who hear.

    During this season of Pentecost let us commit ourselves to be open to
all of God's people - whether students or professors, pastors or bishops,
young or old, men or women, eminent or unknown.  Let us cherish them, learn
from them and allow the church to change in response to what God is doing
in  the lives of people and in the world.

    The ecumenical movement and our fellowship of churches have been
blessed with the energies, ideals, perspectives and visions of the young
during the time of its formation and in its early years.  Now during our
Jubilee year, as we move into the third millennium, we make a special call
to the young people in our churches.  We recognize that the torch is
already in their hands and we affirm that young people in our churches
should lead the way.  We invite you to lead this
fellowship through this Jubilee Assembly and into the next millennium -
that the believers may be one so that the world may indeed believe.

    May God bless you and may the spirit of Pentecost empower you as you
respond to the call to right relationships in this Jubilee year and the
call to a united witness in our divided world.

The Presidents of the World Council of Churches:

Prof. Anna Marie Aagaard, Hojbjerg, Denmark
Bishop Vinton Anderson, Washington, D.C., U.S.A.
The Hon. Rev. Leslie Boseto, Honiara, Solomon Islands
Mrs. Priyanka Mendis, Idama, Sri Lanka
The Rev. Eunice Santana, Arecibo, Puerto Rico
His Holiness Pope Shenouda III, Cairo, Egypt
Dr. Aaron Tolen, Yaound, Cameroon