From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Czech Pastor Says Eastern European Churches

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 12 Jun 1998 20:13:42

2-June-1998
98195

    Czech Pastor Says Eastern European
    Churches Are Challenged by Divisive Issues Too

    by Julian Shipp

LOUISVILLE, Ky.-Mainline denominations like the Presbyterian Church
(U.S.A.) aren't the only ones challenged by divisive issues such as human
sexuality and ordination and racism - eastern European churches face them
too, according to the Rev. Ondrej Stehlik of the Evangelical Church of
Czech Brethren (ECCB), Czech Republic, who visited the Louisville
Presbyterian Center May 26-27.

    Although church members and pastors in central and eastern Europe have
given the impetus to much of the social and political changes resulting
from the fall of communism in 1989, they've worked furiously since 1990 to
keep pace with the new world order they helped to create. The results for
the ECCB, Stehlik told the Presbyterian News Service, have been mixed.

    For example, Stehlik said, the issue of sexuality and ordination has
not been widely discussed by the ECCB. Moreover, he said, due to the small
size of the denomination, the issue would likely be addressed differently
by each congregation.  According to Stehlik, the ECCB consists of
approximately 180 ministers and 250,000 members -- about 2 percent of the
Czech Republic's population of 10 million people.

    "We [clergy] know each other and [ordination and sexuality issues]
would be handled more personally and not by the legislative body of the
church," Stehlik said. "In all likelihood, our stated clerk would negotiate
this matter with the individual minister and the congregation. We don't
have anything in our book of order which would prohibit ordination (of gay
or lesbian persons)."

    Stehlik said that addressing contentious issues such as ordination and
human sexuality on an individual basis has some disadvantages, but, he
added, "we needn't be divided in this case as a church."  However, he said,
should the issue come before the ECCB's General Assembly, "I'm pretty sure
there would be some division in the church."

    Stehlik acknowledged the pain and dissent the ordination issue has
caused the PC(USA).  The denomination has spent the last 20 years debating,
taking action at the General Assembly, voting on constitutional amendments
and engaging in judicial processes related to concerns over human sexuality
and ordination.

    The 1996 General Assembly approved Amendment B - the commonly called
"fidelity and chastity" amendment - which became G-6.0106b when the
presbyteries voted to ratify it last year. The 1997 Assembly approved
Amendment A - the commonly called "fidelity and integrity" amendment -
which was soundly defeated by the presbyteries as a proposed revision of
G-6.0106b.

    The only action submitted to this year's Assembly related to the
content of G-6.0106b - from Milwaukee Presbytery - calls for its deletion
from the "Book of Order." The Rev. Clifton Kirkpatrick, stated clerk of the
General Assembly, and other church leaders recently called for a
"sabbatical" on ordination standards.

    "Personally, philosophically and theologically, I sympathize with the
liberal wing in your denomination on this issue," Stehlik said.

     Stehlik said the ECCB is also beginning to address racism in the Czech
Republic. He said there is bitter hatred toward some members of Czech
society, particularly Roma, or "gypsies," by "skinheads" and other fascist
parties.

    He said the ECCB Assembly recently issued a proclamation against racism
that has been deemed "very important" by the denomination. Stehlik said the
ECCB's General Assembly commissioners serve a four-year term, which gives
them more time to track the development of denominational policies.

    Stehlik said many Protestant theologians and laity in the Czech
Republic are also concerned about the current status of the Jewish
community in eastern and central Europe. He said cultural changes during
the last 60 years were largely determined by the Nazi occupation during
World War II, the murder of millions of people by Hitler and Stalin, a
numbing series of fascist and communist dictatorships and a decades-long
omnipresence of the secret police.

    "Following World War II, the Jewish population in Czechoslovakia was
decimated," Stehlik said. "Today, there are only two rabbis in the Czech
republic. And this missing voice has prompted some of the church members to
rethink our attitudes and our approach toward the Jewish communities, and
real theological discussion is going on."

    Stehlik described the theological exchanges between Christians and Jews
in the Czech Republic as "often intense," but with the end of the Cold War
and more than five decades elapsed since World War II, "the time for
discussion has never been higher."

     More than 30 years after Presbyterians joined African Americans in the
struggle for civil rights in this country, the PC(USA) continues to work
against racism too. Last June, on the first anniversary of the burning of
Matthews-Murkland Presbyterian Church in Charlotte, N.C., the denomination
announced a new endowment, "The Hawkins-Buchanan Fund for Racial Justice,"
to help in the effort.

     Additionally, the Presbyterian Peacemaking Program sponsored two
conferences last summer at Estes Park, Colo., and Montreat, N.C., titled
"Facing Racism: In Search of the Beloved Community." More than 1,200 people
attended the two meetings. Members of the General Assembly Council and the
denomination's national staff participated in antiracism training last
year.