From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Protestant leaders discuss needs with Castro

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 11 Jun 1998 09:40:16

June 11, 1998	Contact: Linda Bloom*(212) 870-3803*New York       {360}

NOTE:  A photo is available with this story.

By Carol Fouke*

A discussion with Cuban President Fidel Castro about the needs and gifts
of Protestant churches on the island highlighted a recent visit there by
a National Council of Churches (NCC) delegation.

The delegation included the Rev. Thom White Wolf Fassett, general
secretary, United Methodist Board of Church and Society.

Castro played host to the NCC and Cuban Council of Churches leadership
on June 1 during a six-hour, wide-ranging conversation that started
around a conference table and concluded over dinner.

"We congratulated Cuba on the tremendous growth of the churches here,"
NCC General Secretary Joan Campbell reported afterward. "We are
obviously encouraged not only by the strength of the churches but also
by their energy. The President affirmed that growth and said he would
encourage more.

"We said to him that it is very important for the churches to be able to
be partners with government, working to care for the sick and the
elderly, addressing prostitution and other social problems, and building
housing," she continued. "The President talked about the importance of
the church being of service to the society, and affirmed there be a
space in Cuban society for the churches to play that role."

The U.S. and Cuban church leaders spoke with Castro about the need for
new churches in new residential developments and he affirmed that would
be possible with financial assistance from churches outside Cuba.

Castro expressed evident enthusiasm for a major international ecumenical
gathering in Cuba. Leaders of the Cuban Council of Churches earlier had
described to their NCC colleagues their hope of arranging such a meeting
late in 1999. The President urged it be held as soon as possible and
pledged the Cuban government's full cooperation.

Member churches of the Cuban Council of Churches, which just celebrated
its 57th anniversary, are deeply rooted in Cuban society. According to
the council's studies center, 300,000 Protestants and 280,000 Roman
Catholics worship regularly in Cuba.

During their meetings with Cuban church leaders, the NCC delegation
promised to increase humanitarian aid to Cuba and redouble efforts to
end the U.S. embargo.

Fassett said he is working to dispel "the myths that have been created
around Cuba" and to defeat the anti-Cuba Helms legislation. "I become
the student when I come to Cuba," he pointed out. "I listen, see and
then return to the halls of Congress and to the White House with
first-hand information."

During the May 30-June 2 visit, the NCC delegation also delivered
much-needed medical equipment and supplies to Antonio Guiteras Holmes
Polyclinic (emergency clinic) in Havana.

The 3,000 pounds of equipment, ranging from wheelchairs to tiny oxygen
masks for children and surgical gloves, was donated by two California
Rotary Clubs in collaboration with Direct Relief International. Shipping
was arranged under the U.S. State Department license of Church World
Service, the NCC relief agency, which  added $2,000 for shipping costs.
The  United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) also contributed
$6,000 for shipping..

Over the past six years, Church World Service has responded to specific
requests for aid from the Cuban Council of Churches with 42 shipments of
food, medicine, medical equipment, school supplies and other goods
valued at $10 million.

Now, the agency also is targeting specific clinics and hospitals to help
equip them for their work. Several more shipments are planned for the
polyclinic, where staff treat 5,000 emergency cases a month.
#  #  #
*Fouke, a NCC communications staff member, accompanied the delegation to
Cuba.

United Methodist News Service
(615)742-5470
Releases and photos also available at