From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

PPC Targets Adult Learners with New Curriculum Now Available

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 12 Jun 1998 20:13:32

12-June-1998
98193

    PPC Targets Adult Learners with
    New Curriculum Now Available

    by Julian Shipp

LOUISVILLE, Ky.-The Presbyterian Publishing Company (PPC) is again
expanding its congregational resources with the launch of a new adult Bible
curriculum called "Good Ground: Letting the Word Take Root."

    According to PPC officials, a special "Good Ground" announcement
brochure is on its way to all churches within the Presbyterian Church
(U.S.A.) as part of PPC's spring curriculum mailing. It also will be
prominently featured in PPC's midyear catalog of new congregational
resources and Geneva Press titles, to be mailed in August.

    "`Good Ground' is a unique approach to adult Bible study," said the
Rev. Tom Long, PPC director of congregational resources and Geneva Press.
"It goes to the scriptures for questions, not just answers. When we ask,
`How can I be saved?' the Bible asks, `Whom will you serve?' When we ask,
`What will happen to me when I die?' the Bible asks, `What does the Lord
require of you?' `Good Ground' lets the Bible ask the questions and lets
participants struggle with the answers."

    PPC officials said they identified a need within the denomination for
an interactive Sunday school curriculum for adults.  "`Good Ground' fills
that void," Long said.

    "Good Ground" is created for a broad audience, but specifically targets
those adults who enjoy using a range of learning styles, according to PPC
officials.  In "Good Ground," participants make connections between the
Word and the world through a variety of thought-provoking activities.

    "These are sessions in which learning happens rather than sessions in
which teaching happens," Long said.

    PPC offers the new resources within the PC(USA) as an expansion of its
cooperative distribution and editorial consultation association with
Brethren Press and Faith & Life Press, co-publishers of "Good Ground" as
well as the popular "Generation Why" and "Fast Lane" Bible studies for
young people.

    "`Generation Why' and `Fast Lane' are two of the finest hands-on,
reality-based youth studies on the market and are quite popular with
educators and pastors within the Presbyterian Church," said Bill Falvey,
PPC retail marketing manager. "When we explored `Good Ground' and saw that
it utilizes similar contemporary techniques and creative learning
approaches within a sound biblical framework, we were anxious to provide it
right away. It's literally fresh off the press."

    The two fall units of "Good Ground" will be available in June, and two
winter units will be off the press in July, so that users will be able to
start the Sunday school year with four titles to choose from. Over the
planned four-year cycle, nearly all books of the Bible will be covered.
Each study is six sessions long, with two studies offered each quarter.

    According to PPC officials, the "Good Ground" name is inspired by the
parable of the sower, in which some seed falls on good ground and brings
forth good grain. Beginning with the premise that everyone has equal access
to the Bible's truth, all "Good Ground" participants, including the leader,
use identical copies of the book. Each costs $5.95.

    To order materials, call PPC at 1-800-227-2872. For more information on
"Good Ground," call PPC curriculum consultant Cathy George at (502)
569-5859.

    PPC is the publisher of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.). It produces
educational resources for Presbyterian congregations and members, as well
as theological and religious books and other material for a wider audience.