From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Consultation Opens up Governing Body Boundaries

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 12 Jun 1998 20:13:45

10-June-1998
98202

    Consultation Opens up Governing Body Boundaries
    for Soliciting Extra Commitment Funds

    by Bill Lancaster

CHICAGO-The synods and the General Assembly Council are giving Presbyterian
Church (U.S.A.) governing bodies permission to do what parachurch
organizations such as the Salvation Army, World Vision International and
Promise Keepers already do - go directly to congregations, presbyteries or
synods to seek funds.

    As they do so, they are adopting guidelines to ensure that this takes
place in an orderly process that respects the integrity of the solicited
governing bodies.

    Representatives from the 16 synods and the General Assembly Council of
the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)  met here May 28-30 to polish the
guidelines.  They also approved a distribution of the 1999 National Mission
Partnership Funds, approved principles for using 10 percent of those funds
as seed money for developing other funds and discussed issues to be dealt
with at future consultations.

    The guidelines cover the national mission partnership section of the
Extra Commitment Opportunities Program already familiar to many
congregations.  These projects or programs fall into four areas: vital
ministries in congregations, campus ministries, racial/ethnic ministries,
and presbytery or synod administrative or mission staff.

    Any governing body may initiate a national mission partnership project.
Each project must be validated and accountable.

    The guidelines state that validated projects have the right to seek
access to all synods, presbyteries and sessions.  However, project
fund-raisers must consult with the appropriate governing bodies ("synods
before contacting presbyteries; presbyteries before contacting
congregations; sessions before contacting members") before asking for
funds. A "soliciting body" must agree to inform the other governing bodies
of its "intent to solicit funds for a validated project and agrees to be
guided by the counsel and advice of the governing body as to (1) the
desirability of funds solicitation within its bounds and (2) the most
effective methods of soliciting funds. ..."

    The consultation rejected stronger language that would have given veto
power to the governing bodies being solicited.  This would have substituted
"abide by" for "be guided by" in the above statement.

    Synod and presbytery officials at the consultation believe this process
will be received without problems at the local level if dollars are given
over and above Basic Mission Support and if these guidelines are understood
as a matter of fairness.

    "I think there will be some that want that kind of relationship and
will value that personalizing of mission and partnership where they can put
names and faces on what they wish to support," said the Rev. Tom Johnston,
executive of the Synod of The Trinity.

    "There  are other parts of Trinity," he said, "that have a long
tradition of supporting Basic Mission Support of the church and have
preferred not to try to designate dollars to any particular mission.  I
think that continues to be strong, and in some presbyteries, therefore,
there will be a desire to assure that these extra commitment projects
beyond the budget are not eroding Basic Mission Support.

    "Once the consultative process satisfies the fact that this is not
going to be taking away from a holistic supporting of basic mission
worldwide of the whole church," Johnston said, "then I think there is some
excitement that will generate new dollars for extra commitment partnerships
in national mission."

    One of the reasons for consulting is to assure that the solicitation
does not lead to competition for undesignated or Basic Mission Support
funds.

    "For instance," Johnston said, "it could be that a program wishing to
have such partnership within our synod would consult with a presbytery, and
the presbytery  would say, `We would prefer you not go to these churches
because they have a tradition of supporting basic mission and do not have
extra commitment projects.  But these [other] churches do not support basic
mission and prefer to support designated mission and have shown that their
people get generative around personalizing mission and giving new dollars
for new partnerships in extra commitment opportunity giving.  And we would
suggest it is to these churches you  would make your contact.'  That's what
partnership and consultation are about."

    The Rev. David Dawson, executive of the Presbytery of Shenango, said
congregations there are already doing this.  He said the presbytery
encourages congregations to give to extra commitment opportunities by
choosing three extra commitment projects and saying to its churches, "These
might be of particular interest to you."  He said they receive about
$150,000 for the three extra projects, and this summer they will probably
add two or three more to the list.

    "That way," Dawson said, "we're trying to say to our churches,  `We
want you to be supporting things you believe in.  We want you to support
basic mission, too - we think that's important.  But we want you to
challenge your people to grow in areas that are of particular interest and
concern to your church so you will see that mission is your responsibility
as a congregation.'"

    He does not think congregations give much unified (undesignated) funds
to these extra opportunities.  "I think it's a mixed bag," he said, "but I
don't think particularly so, because the unified is not really going down.
 ... I think if they weren't giving to these they'd be giving to something
else, outside the denomination.  And if they are decreasing their Basic
Mission Support, at least we're getting it back into the Presbyterian
stream. Otherwise it would go somewhere else.  What we would say to
[leaders] is, `Basic Mission Support is very important. You need to
maintain that.  What portion of your mission giving it is is your decision.
 ...' But we say to them, `You ought to use a personalized, designated
pattern as a way to help your people grow,' because that is what people
respond to in our contexts.  So we're trying to get growth out of
designations."

    The Rev. John Bartholomew, executive of the Synod of South Atlantic,
sees a rougher reception for the funds solicitation.  He said,  "There's
going to be problems with it.  I think if folks understand it as a fairness
issue - that everybody else is free to come in except Presbyterians - that
they will be much more sympathetic. Why shouldn't we ask among the family
when so many groups from outside the family feel so free to come in?"

    As a new feature of the division of funds this year, the consultation
split off 10 percent of the total to use for funds development.  For 1999,
four synods - Alaska-Northwest, Puerto Rico, Rocky Mountains and Southwest
- will receive portions of the $300,000 available.

    The purpose of funds development dollars is to enable synods to do more
themselves.  Johnston said,  "I think it's a new strategy to use the
strength and resources of the whole church to strengthen and to develop the
synods [that] have sought to avail themselves of the resources of the whole
church in funds development.  We've all put money at the disposal of synods
that say, `We want to get serious about strengthening the funds development
of our own synod and not continue a pattern of having to reach into the
circulating funds for meeting all of our own needs.  We'd like to be able
to do more ourselves.'"

    The four synods are to design and perfect proposals for use of the
development funds through a process that draws on expertise from the whole
church.

    The total amount of mission partnership funds to be distributed in
1999, minus the $300,000 for funds development, is $3,517,427.  The amount
has trended lower each year from 1995 through 1998.  The amount to be
distributed to nine receiving synods would have been up in 1999 were the
$300,000 not split off.

    The recommended 1999 distribution by synod:

      Alaska-Northwest - $565,337
      Lakes and Prairies - $387,334
      Living Waters - $303,791
      Pacific - $340,245
      Puerto Rico - $431,429
      Rocky Mountains -  $266,179
      South Atlantic - $233,685
      Southern California and Hawaii - $156,566
      Southwest - $832,860.

    All allocations of national mission partnership funds must be approved
by the General Assembly Council.

    Participants in the consultation also identified issues to be dealt
with at future meetings. Diana Barber, associate executive for leadership
development in the Synod of Lakes and Prairies, was the process facilitator
for the gathering.  She said, "We had an opportunity to actually identify
some of the things that we need to have conversation about besides dividing
up dollars - issues that underlie some of the tension that happens in all
of these conversations that we have about money."

    One of those issues is to "really look churchwide at who we are and
what we are about and how all of our systems work together," she said.
Another issue "lurking behind this consultation" is "What do we really mean
by national mission?  What's included in it besides our memories of the
past?  How can we have the kind of conversation that will allow us to say
in fact, `This is what we all agree to be the national mission of the
church, and these are the roles of the governing bodies in making that
happen'?  We've not had a unified definition of what we mean churchwide by
national mission."

    One of the main issues expressed was trust.

    "I think it's a complicated one," Barber said, "but I really do think
part of it is we simply have not had opportunities to talk about issues but
rather to resolve budget dilemmas.  We haven't had the table at which we
could talk to each other across governing body lines to know that we were
operating on the same page."

    She said that because of this lack of common understanding, "suspicion
that you are operating under a different set of assumptions than I am feeds
our distrust.  And when it's in areas as important to us as the mission
that we're trying to do in our area, and the funds that are available to
make that happen, that gets really personal and really testy."