From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

MLCN Votes to Merge with PLGC,

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 12 Jun 1998 20:48:26

10-June-1998
98203

    MLCN Votes to Merge with PLGC,
    Reach Out to Moderate Grass Roots

    by Alexa Smith

CHAMPAIGN, Ill.-A merger with Presbyterians for Lesbian and Gay Concerns
(PLGC) was unanimously approved by delegates of the More Light Churches
Network (MLCN) during the network's annual conference here, initiating a
new strategy for gay and lesbian Presbyterians to work more cohesively in
the church's grass roots to reach supportive but cautious moderates.

    To further that goal, Bill Capel, a Champaign, Ill., elder, donated
$30,000 to start a salary pool so that the new group - tentatively known as
More Light Presbyterians (MLP) - can hire a full-time organizer and an
assistant to work with congregations and presbyteries, particularly in
regions where the denomination's 1997 vote on Amendment A, the "fidelity
and integrity" amendment, was close.

    The defeat of Amendment A, which tried to broaden the more restrictive
ordination standards that went into the church's constitution in 1997,
effectively closed the door on the ordination of sexually active
homosexuals.

    Capel is a member of the McKinley Memorial Presbyterian Church, on the
campus of the University of Illinois, the MLCN congregation that hosted the
conference and just unveiled an "inclusiveness" stained-glass window (with
a pink triangle, recalling the symbol homosexuals in Nazi concentration
camps were forced to wear, at the top) in its sanctuary.

    MLP is aiming to raise another $30,000 and to hire staff early in 1999.
PLGC's members will vote on the merger during their annual meeting at the
General Assembly this week.

    "We're entering a new phase of this struggle ... and there's a desire
to reinvent ourselves to be a bit better prepared for this new phase," said
Scott Anderson of Sacramento, one of PLGC's co-moderators.

    "While we'll always be a presence at the General Assembly, for the next
phase we're going to enlarge our work at the local level dramatically,
[particularly in] swing-vote presbyteries," Anderson said.  "Five to 10
years' work will make the difference."

    The vote is both for a merger and a reunion of sorts.

    In 1978, when the General Assembly adopted "definitive guidance,"
denying ordination to homosexuals, New York City's West-Park Presbyterian
Church immediately declared itself a conscientious objector to the policy
and defined itself as gay welcoming.  The Munn Avenue Church in East
Orange, N.J., and the Downtown Church in Rochester, N.Y., quickly followed.

    In 1992, the MLCN was organized as a way to nurture the growing numbers
of congregations practicing ecclesiastical disobedience. While churches in
the network ordain gays and lesbians as elders and deacons, members, when
asked, were able to identify only one MLCN church in the 95-congregation
network that has called an openly gay minister.

    PLGC, on the other hand, built its reputation as a lobbying
organization, focusing most intently upon changing General Assembly
ordination policy.  It emerged at the 1974 General Assembly of the United
Presbyterian Church in the United States of America as the Presbyterian Gay
Caucus. It became Presbyterians for Gay Concerns in 1979 to accommodate
growing numbers of nongay members.  The name was officially changed to
Presbyterians for Lesbian and Gay Concerns in 1980.  The organization now
has 20 active chapters.

    "The popular vote was so much larger this time," said MLCN co-moderator
the Rev. Richard Lundy of Excelsior, Minn., referring to the 46 percent of
Presbyterians who voted for less restrictive ordination standards in
presbyteries this year, even though Amendment A was ultimately clobbered by
a 114-to-59 vote. "That helps us know where we need to concentrate our
grassroots efforts. ...

    "The MLCN tradition is committed to nurturing churches," said Lundy.
"PLGC has focused on legislative initiatives at the General Assembly.  Now
we're committed to grassroots organizing in addition to the legislative
initiatives."

    Areas targeted for a stronger MLP presence are the Southeast, an
up-to-now solid wall of opposition to ordination of gays and lesbians, and
the Midwest, where voting has been more mixed.

    The decision to bankroll local organizing isn't a new one among gay and
lesbian activists within the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).  In her advocacy
work throughout the United States, the Rev. Jane Spahr, an evangelist hired
by the Downtown Church in Rochester, N.Y., to educate the denomination on
gay and lesbian concerns, is laying the groundwork for local congregations
to hire what she calls "regional evangelists." These gays and lesbians,
working side by side with MLP, will be advocates and educators in the
church's historically moderate middle.  Projects under the auspices of
Spahr's supporting organization, That All May Freely Serve, are under
development now in Baltimore, northern California and Chicago, and are
beginning in Atlanta.

    Spahr gained denomination-wide recoginition in 1992 when the General
Assembly's Permanent Judicial Commission declared her call as pastor to the
Downtown Church in Rochester out of order, prohibiting her installation
there.  An ordained minister, Spahr is an "out" lesbian.

    Presbyterian Welcome, a coalition of ten New York City Presbyterian
churches, has already hired a part-time regional evangelist - United Church
of Christ pastor Cliff Frazier - and its latest project is petitioning the
Synod of the Northeast to become a "G-6.0106b-free Zone."  G-6.0106b is the
clause in the denomination's constitution that in effect prohibits the
ordination of sexually active gays, lesbians and unmarried heterosexuals.

    "It's hard work," said Frazier, when asked about mediating between the
more radicalized congregations in his coalition who are ecclesiastically
disobedient and the more moderates ones, who are supportive but who are
committed to working for change within the system's rules.  "It's hard to
negotiate different points of view. ... Not impossible - just difficult."

    Such disparity in perspective has created tension in More Light circles
for years, leading the organization to develop a second-tier membership of
inclusive-but-not-quite-More Light churches - something hardliners in the
ordination debate consider a compromise and others accept as pragmatic
politics.

     "Being inclusive without becoming More Light ... may be a comfort for
the conscience of an organization.  But it doesn't tell gay and lesbian
people they're welcome there ... if it's just privately known to the
congregation," said Donn Crail of West Hollywood, a retired minister who
has long worked in gay and lesbian advocacy and who wants moderates to take
a more vocal - and visible - stance.  He includes in that group members of
the Covenant Network of Presbyterians (CNP), the self-styled
middle-of-the-roaders who worked to get "fidelity and integrity" language
into the constitution and who intend to continue as a moderate voice in
denominational debates but who, much to Crail's dismay, list no openly gay
people in their literature.

    "I'd like to push the moderates to come out," Crail said.

    Pam Byers of San Francisco represented the Covenant Network of
Presbyterians in MLCN presentations and in a General Assembly strategy
session that was closed to the press.  Byers told the gathering that the
CNP is working to mobilize those who are "much more moderate than the folks
in this room" and described her constituency as people who "lost a vote,
but found a voice."

    Many in MLP believe it is time to widen the group's membership to
include those who are supportive of gays and lesbians but unwilling to be
ecclesiastically disobedient.  But while MLCN's other co-moderator,
octogernarian activist Virginia Davidson of Rochester, N.Y., is willing,
she's still dragging her feet on compromising much to accommodate people
who don't take the risks More Lighters have historically taken.

    Davidson, who wrapped up her last three-year term as co-moderator at
the close of the conference, believes that the only way gays and lesbians
will be ordained anytime soon in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) will be
by a favorable Permanent Judicial Commission (PJC) decision brought about
by judicial action.

    "People want to get this one by one by one," said Davidson, referring
to pastors who want to change parishoners' minds slowly because they are
reluctant to upset members by taking convictional stands. "I want to
maintain connections and I want to keep talking and listening with them ...
but I don't think we're gonna change the church that way.  It's the polity
that has to change.

    "And we need a decision like that on the books from a PJC," said
Davidson, who believes that a favorable PJC action now would be comparable
to civil rights legislation in the 1960s.

    Anderson believes that those cases are inevitable, but is less certain
that now is a favorable time.  MLP is compiling lists of volunteer lawyers
to represent gays and lesbians and More Light churches in ecclesiastical
court and has socked away $20,000 toward covering whatever fees arise.

    "We're not folding up our tents and quietly going away, becoming UCC
[United Church of Christ, which, with its congregational polity, permits
the ordination of homosexuals]," he said, stressing that gay activists
intend to turn whatever Presbyterian judicial cases get filed into national
media stories and that they will also work to improve pastoral and
spiritual care of the flock in this tense time.

    "We are preparing ourselves, ..." he said. " There were 41 years of
overtures before women's ordination [was approved] - judicial cases and
irregular ordinations.  The parallels are so strong.  So if we adopt that
perspective, we're still in the early stages of this discussion in the life
of this denomination.

    "We've only been at this 25 years," said the 43-year-old former
Presbyterian minister who was "outed" and demitted his ordination, "and I
think it will take another 25. I hope it happens before I die, but I'm not
holding my breath on that."

    PLGC co-moderator Laurene Lafontaine, parish associate in a Denver
Presbyterian church, is also focusing on the long haul.  "I feel pretty
hopeful, even though it's hard now," she told the Presbyterian News
Service, describing the frustration and hope that swings back and forth
like a see-saw as she meets with CNP's moderates, antsy More Lighters and
even more conservative factions.

    "We want to do the right thing," she told her constituents, "and we're
trying to figure out how to do it. Part of the challenge of this work is
how to work together."