From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

A Mountain to Climb ... for Mission

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 12 Jun 1998 22:25:28

10-June-1998
98206

    A Mountain to Climb ... for Mission

    by Alexa Smith

LOUISVILLE, Ky.-A base camp on Everest - somewhere around 18,000 feet - is
the highest they've ever gone.  That was two and a half years ago, on their
honeymoon.

     But this summer the goal is to peer down on the plains of Kenya and
Tanzania from the snowy summit of Kilimanjaro, more than 19,000 feet (340
more feet, to be exact) up - higher than "anything else we've done," they
say.

    We're talking about Darren and Elisabeth Kennedy, students at Princeton
Theological Seminary.   Climbing is something they both like to do.  So is
mission - so much so that they intend to pursue full-time mission worker
positions when they finish school.  This climb is a way to do both.

    The Kennedys are shooting for what they're calling a vertical Crop
Walk.  They're looking for congregations, businesses, organizations and
even individuals willing to commit to a per-foot pledge: from a tenth of a
penny per foot, coming out at $19.34 for traipsing up the whole mountain,
up to a dollar a foot, which, of course, equals $19,340.

    The money will go to the Medical Benevolence Foundation (MBF), a
validated mission support group of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.),
headquartered in Houston, Texas, which provides medical personnel,
equipment, supplies and financial aid to medical outposts and clinics
outside the United States.  Income from this particular climb will go
toward MBF's greatest health facility needs, such as heat and electricity
costs.

    "We're trying to give [people] a foothold on this climb," Darren told
the Presbyterian News Service, adding that he hopes that those who choose
to fund the Kennedys' climb might get initiated into the possibilities for
mission that exist throughout the world.  "We thought of the mountain as a
metaphor ... there is a mountain of need.  And we as a church should be
climbing together."

    That's a message that MBF representative Rob McClelland hopes will
entice the generation of churchgoers that sociologists call "X" - one of
the toughest groups to reach with traditional mission strategies.

    "Darren and I met weekly ... and we were dreaming," said McClelland,
referring to Kennedy's seminary field placement with MBF and the notion of
a fund-raising climb. He added that he and his own son, an X-er, had
bantered about the idea previously. "My dream would be to take 100 kids,
post college.  Get them over there.  Let them see the medical work [and
say], `Let's climb that mountain.'"

    The Kennedys first will be part of an MBF-sponsored work trip to Kikuyu
Hospital, a longtime Presbyterian medical mission outside Nairobi.  Then
they'll head south alone to Kilimanjaro.  Pledges may be sent to the
Kennedys' seminary address: Princeton Theological Seminary, 312 Emmons Dr.
#7B, Princeton, NJ  08540.

    McClelland said the Presbytery of New Brunswick has signed on to the
Kennedys' climb as a way of raising funds for the presbytery's own
partnership in Ghana.  "The point is that all the money raised will go to
validated mission projects, medical projects," said McClelland.  "If people
pledge as much as two pennies [per foot], that's close to $500."

    The Kennedys intend to tackle the mountain in late June.