From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

New GAC Chair: A Long and Winding Road

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusanews@pcusa80.pcusa.org>
Date 13 Jun 1998 18:35:33

13-June-1998
GA98002

              New GAC Chair: A Long and Winding Road

                       by Jerry Van Marter

CHARLOTTE--The Rev. Cathy Chisholm, the new chair of the General Assembly
Council (GAC), feels called to her new leadership position, but she's not
sure why.
   Chisholm, who is serving her first pastorate in Vandalia, Ill., after
graduating from Louisville Presbyterian Theological Seminary in 1993, told
the Presbyterian News Service in a June 10 interview: "I understand this
(GAC chair) as a call, though I don't understand how God thinks I can do
it."
   But an unfolding sense of call has been the hallmark of Chisholm's
still-emerging ministry in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)., and all along
the way she has received the signs and encouragement that have convinced
her she is on the path God has chosen for her.
   "I got into the ministry the long way around," she said with a smile
that seems ever-present. "My first awareness that my life was turning to
ministry came when I was working as a church secretary in Idaho Falls
(Idaho)."  Staff and church members quickly recognized, she said, "talents
and potential I didn't know I had."
   Through a divorce, a near-fatal illness and the completion of her
undergraduate degree in mass communications while commuting to Idaho State
University in nearby Pocatello, Chisholm said the Idaho Falls congregation
"supported me spiritually and materially."  And in July of 1990, Chisholm
packed her two children and all of her belongings in a U-haul truck and
moved to Louisville for seminary.
   Her ministry experiences in Idaho had led her to believe her future was
in educational ministry, Chisholm said, but during her clinical pastoral
education stint in seminary, she "discovered I was really a pastor."
   And though she is now pastor of the 170-year-old, 100-member
Presbyterian church in Vandalia, Chisholm still thinks of herself primarily
as an educator.  "I see myself as an educator and I hope to model the
leader as educator during this year," she said, adding that she is
particularly pleased about being in a position of GAC leadership during the
Presbyterian Church's "Year with Education."
   Chisholm's role as an educator has already shown up.  Before she was
installed as GAC chair, she gave each Council member a "membership
evaluation" form, asking them to record such information as their greatest
sources of satisfaction and frustration, what resources would help them be
more effective as council members and what advice they would give to new
elected and staff leaders.
   Such collaborative efforts are essential to the success of the Council
and to her success as chair, Chisholm insisted.  "The key issue facing the
Council," she said, "is how we do our work.