From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Detterick Unanimously Elected GAC Executive Director

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusanews@pcusa80.pcusa.org>
Date 13 Jun 1998 18:36:33

13-June-1998
GA98003

      Detterick Unanimously Elected GAC Executive Director;
               Awaits Assembly Confirmation June 18

                       by Jerry Van Marter

CHARLOTTE--A euphoric General Assembly Council (GAC) unanimously elected
John Detterick, president of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) Board of
Pensions, its new executive director here June 11.  The vote was 82-0.
   Detterick told the Presbyterian News Service the election by GAC "clears
the first hurdle." His election still must be confirmed by the 210th
General Assembly.  The confirmation vote is slated for the evening business
session Thursday, June 18.
   In his presentation to the GAC, Detterick admitted that "I can't be all
things to all people," but he outlined three broad goals for his
administration that reflect the successful service-oriented management
approach he brought to the Board of Pensions more than five years ago. This
executive director is determined to make the General Assembly mission
enterprise a servant of the congregations and presbyteries of the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
   "What can you expect from me?" Detterick asked.  "You can expect a focus
on supporting and enabling mission by and through the congregations and
presbyteries.  You can expect a cohesive and service-oriented staff.  And
you can expect that we all -- staff and elected persons -- will be
pro-active in shaping the church's future."
   Detterick said the GAC "must celebrate the desire of congregations to be
more directly and personally involved in mission....I see the GAC as a
service agency, a mission support system -- we serve the whole church,
whose mission starts in congregations."
   At the same time, Detterick affirmed the role of synods "in helping to
forge strong partnerships throughout the denomination" and said "there is a
prophetic voice that needs to be spoken and heard through mission programs
originating at the Assembly level."
chair Sandra Hawley about the place of national programs, Detterick said,
"There is much need -- the question is where mission is located.  I want to
ensure that national programs are supportive of the mission of
congregations, presbyteries and synods, that they come in response to needs
expressed by congregations and presbyteries and not as a mandate from
above."
   To do so, Detterick continued, will require "the creation of a focused
work environment that equips and empowers staff to serve congregations and
presbyteries."  After years of seeming turmoil at the Presbyterian Center
in Louisville dating back at least to the downsizing and restructuring of
1993, Detterick said, "This is an opportune time to shape the GAC and its
staff to be more responsive and efficient in its service to the church."
   Detterick has received high marks for making the Board of Pensions a
more service-oriented organization through a management program called
Total Quality Management (TQM).
 Council member David Greer of Omaha, Neb., asked if Detterick was planning
to institute such a program in Louisville.

   "It surely won't be quite the same," Detterick answered.  "But, yes, the
principles are the same --first, staff members must come to an
understanding of the purpose and focus of their work together, and then it
becomes the responsibility of leadership to equip and empower them to
positively impact their areas of work.  The challenge for me is to
challenge staff to create an environment that is more focused and less
subject to turmoil."
   One of the primary goals of his administration will be to foster a
stronger sense of community in the Presbyterian Church.  "Community is my
favorite word," Detterick told the Council.  "We get so caught up in our
own work and causes that we tend to narrow our vision too much.  One thing
we learned during my five years with the Board of Pensions is a recognition
that we're dependent on a sense of community in the church.  I'll be
talking a lot about community and how we can create a better, stronger one
in the Presbyterian family."
   The Rev. David Bleivik asked Detterick, "Eight years from now, when you
celebrate two successful terms as executive director and are ready to
retire, what three words will you want to be remembered by?"
   Detterick pondered briefly and replied, "Christ-centered.  Responsive.
Exciting."