From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Detterick Is Determined to Bridge Gap

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 13 Jun 1998 20:03:00

13-June-1998
GA98012

              Detterick Is Determined to Bridge Gap
            Between Congregations and National Church

                       by Jerry Van Marter

CHARLOTTE--As a fairly active elder at First Presbyterian Church of Lake
Forest, Ill., John Detterick says "I thought I was a pretty good
Presbyterian when I went to work for the Board of Pensions" more than five
years ago.
   Two years later, Detterick told the Presbyterian News Service in a June
12 interview, he returned for a visit to the Lake Forest Church and struck
up a conversation with an old friend in the congregation.  "I was talking
on about my work at the Board and with other General Assembly entities, and
it suddenly occurred to me that this friend had no idea what I was talking
about -- that we were living in two different worlds."
   Now, as Detterick prepares to embark on a new adventure as executive
director of the General Assembly Council -- pending confirmation June 18 by
the 210th General Assembly -- he is determined to try and bridge that "huge
gap between congregations and the national church."
   "I want to be part of the transition from one era to the next,"
Detterick said.  "We all know that the old ways of relating to each other
as congregations, presbyteries, synods and the General Assembly are not
working, but we haven't quite figured out yet what the new ways are."
   Detterick said he is intrigued by the challenge "of finding new ways to
proclaim the gospel and feed the poor that are relevant to this new era
we're entering."
   The explosion of communication technology exemplified by the Internet is
one model of how "communicating and relating to each other has changed
exponentially."  Similarly, he added, "People are more focused on causes
they care about and about engaging those causes locally."  Such local focus
can revitalize congregations and the national church "if we don't resist
these changes but embrace them in the service of congregations."
   His key task starting out, Detterick said, is listening.  "Building
understanding, building trust is a matter of building relationships all
across the church," he said.   We'll have to focus on listening or we will
never know what people want and expect from us, and if we don't know what
they want and expect then we will never be able to adequately serve them."