From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Kirkpatrick Says He Believes Sabbatical

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusanews@pcusa80.pcusa.org>
Date 13 Jun 1998 18:38:26

13-June-1998
GA98009

             Kirkpatrick Says He Believes Sabbatical
                on Ordination Standards Will Hold
                       by Jerry Van Marter

CHARLOTTE--General Assembly stated clerk the Rev. Clifton Kirkpatrick
reiterated his belief that an appeal to commissioners to the 210th General
Assembly not to send out another amendment on sexual standards for
ordination this year will be heeded.
   Speaking at a press conference just prior to the convening of the
Assembly on June 13, Kirkpatrick said, "The concern [sexuality standards
for church officers] will not go away, but after two years of discussion
and debate in the presbyteries, I believe a majority of Presbyterians do
not want a third year of preoccupation with this issue."
   Also present for the press conference was Charles Norwood, a retired
banker from Monroe, N.C., who is chair of the Committee on Local
Arrangements.  He said that a team of 1,508 volunteers have performed more
than 2,200 tasks to get ready for this General Assembly.  "A flood of
Presbyterians have called, wanting to work at the General Assembly."
   Norwood expressed particular enthusiasm for preparations for the opening
worship service Sunday morning at the Charlotte Coliseum.  "We're expecting
20,000, which would make this the largest Presbyterian congregation in
history in the United States," he said, conceding that "we won't be able to
match" a Presbyterian gathering of 30,000 in Korea recently.

   Norwood said busloads of Presbyterians coming to the worship service
will arrive from as far south as Rome, Ga., and as far north as West
Virginia.  More than 80 buses have been chartered to ferry worship-goers
from Charlotte hotels to the Coliseum.
   Kirkpatrick outlined four issues he expects to command the most
attention from commissioners:
   * leadership: he said there are "three outstanding candidates" for
moderator; the Assembly will also be acting on the confirmation of John
Detterick, whom Kirkpatrick called "a superior candidate."
   * the new catechisms: he said the approval of the two new catechisms
"promises a renewal of Christian education in the church...an opportunity
to restate our historic tenets in contemporary terms, in the language our
kids speak."
   * racial ethnic church growth: after the 1996 Assembly adopted goals to
increase the racial ethnic membership of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
to 10 percent by 2005 and to 20 percent by 2010, Kirkpatrick said the plans
coming to this Assembly to achieve those goals "are a great chance to make
them happen."
   * full communion: he called the agreement with the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America "a major ecumenical breakthrough that closes a 450-year
gap in the Reformed family of churches."
Church, Kirkpatrick said the church's desire to evangelize is "not a
numbers game but a desire for folk to have a living encounter with Jesus
Christ."  He said he found particular hope in statistics showing that fewer
Presbyterians "dropped out without going anywhere else" last year than in
many years. That means, he said, "that our congregations are putting real
energy into spiritual nurture and are doing a better job of feeding the
spiritual hunger of folks who come to the Presbyterian Church seeking
Christian meaning in their lives."