From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Doug Oldenburg Wins Moderator's Race

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusanews@pcusa80.pcusa.org>
Date 13 Jun 1998 22:40:37

13-June1998
GA98016

                       Doug Oldenburg Wins
            Second Ballot Victory in Moderator's Race

                       by Jerry Van Marter

CHARLOTTE--The Rev. Douglas W. Oldenburg, 63, president of Columbia
Theological Seminary in Decatur, Ga., rode his renown as an educator and
champion of social justice in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) to victory
as he was elected moderator of the 210th General Assembly.  Voting in the
2.6-million member denomination's Assembly was conducted June 13.
   Oldenburg won a second ballot victory over the Rev. James E. Mead of
Tacoma, Wash., and the Rev. Richard C. Hutchison of Fort Wayne, Ind.  The
tally was 291 for Oldenburg, 220 for Mead and 18 for Hutchison.  Oldenburg
fell just eight votes short of victory on the first ballot and all but one
of the 36 commissioners who moved away from Hutchison on the second ballot
went to Oldenburg.
   In her nominating speech for Oldenburg, Elder Marilyn Huff of Western
North Carolina Presbytery emphasized Oldenburg's record as a civil rights
activist during school desegregation in Charlotte early in his pastoral
career and told commissioners it would be "appropriate to have an educator
as moderator during the church's  Year with Education' (a year-long
emphasis on the church's educational ministry that begins with this General
Assembly).
   Oldenburg fortified his position as stronger educator during the
question-and-answer session prior to the voting.  He told commissioners he
believes educators have been neglected by the church and voiced his support
for their ordination.  And in response to a question from the Rev. Richard
Hill, a campus minister in Shenandoah Presbytery, Oldenburg said he not
only wants to strengthen support of Presbyterian campus ministers, but to
"bring together our 67 church-related colleges and universities, to
strengthen the ties between them and between them and the church."
   All three candidates reaffirmed the joint appeal they issued three weeks
ago that commissioners not address the issue of sexual standards for
ordination.  Oldenburg -- who opposed Amendment B ("fidelity and chastity")
and supported Amendment A ("fidelity and integrity") -- said he
nevertheless urges compliance with the "fidelity and chastity" standard
that is G-6.0106b of "The Book of Order."
   But he urged the church "not to stop talking -- that's not what I mean
by the sabbatical.  We have to move on while we keep talking...but we
cannot foreclose God's future."  He said the goal of the sabbatical should
be on "further legislative action, on actions that will only further
alienate us from each other."
   All three candidates also concurred in their answers to a question from
elder commissioner Arlynn Barner of Pacific Presbytery that scripture is
the unique authority in matters of faith and practice.  But Oldenburg went
a step further.
   "Scripture is the unique authority as it reveals Jesus Christ," he said.
"But we need to talk about how we read and interpret scripture in light of
The Book of Confessions' and our Reformed tradition."  Oldenburg called for
every congregation and presbytery to engage in a program of study about
what Presbyterians believe about the Bible and how they read the Bible.
"How we read and interpret the Bible is a crucial issue for the church," he
insisted.
   Such study of the Bible was one of four emphases Oldenburg said he will
pursue as moderator.  "I will strive to lift up our church -- to emphasize
all those things we have in common, centrally Jesus Christ," he said.
   Further pushing his educational program, Oldenburg said he will
"emphasize our noble heritage of a loving God whom we are called to love
with our minds as well as our hearts and I will lift up our educational
ministries."
   Finally, Oldenburg said, he will "encourage every congregation to
initiate a new ministry to children at risk.  We're neglecting our
children," he said, "and that is shameful in this affluent country of
ours."  Oldenburg said he wasn't going to tell congregations what to do
specifically, "but friends," he implored, "we have to do something."
   Oldenburg has been president of Columbia Theological Seminary for 11
years.  Prior to that he served congregations in Virginia, West Virginia
and North Carolina.  He is also chair of the denomination's Committee on
Theological Education.
   He is a graduate of Davidson College and Union Theological Seminary in
Virginia.  He is married to his childhood sweetheart, Claudia Jane Smith.
They have three children -- Mark, Scott and Todd -- and two grandsons, Tyce
and Jack.