From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Logo Design Reflects Assembly Theme

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusanews@pcusa80.pcusa.org>
Date 15 Jun 1998 11:25:44

13-June-1998
GA98008

    Logo Design Reflects Assembly Theme

    The Presbyterian Outlook

CHARLOTTE,N.C.-The logo for the 210th General Assembly, which illustrates
the theme "Light for the Journey," was designed by Judy Morrison, a member
of First Church, Monroe, N.C.  The theme comes from Psalm 119:105: "Your
word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path."
    The circular logo includes deciduous trees as a reminder of death and
new life in the resurrection.  Trees also represent knowledge and growth
which come from studying God's Word.
    Rolling hills are a reminder of the terrain in the Piedmont.
    The two burning lamps show Jesus' dual nature, both human and devine.
The lamps are also a symbol of the Bible and God's illumination of the
spirit.
    Three bibles representing the many language translations of the Bible
as well as faith, hope and love, form steps up to the denominational
symbol.  The bookmark represents the individual Christian, who must enter
into the Bible and keep a place there.