From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Bills and Overtures Committee Gets Underway

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Jun 1998 20:53:52

13-June-1998
GA98010

    Bills and Overtures Committee Gets Underway

    by Julian Shipp

CHARLOTTE, N.C.-While most General Assembly Committees won't get underway
until today, the Assembly Committee on Bills and Overtures began humming
along Saturday like electrical signals pulsing through the busses in a
complex telecommunications system -- and necessarily so.
    That's because the 32-member committee has the incredible task of
referring all items of business that will come before the 210th General
Assembly (1998).  After examining items, the committee refers them to the
appropriate Assembly committees with few exceptions.  If necessary, open
hearings are scheduled before deciding on the disposition of  items.
However, Bills and Overtures  makes the final decision on all referrals.
    "I'm excited about working with this committee," said the Rev. Clifton
Kirkpatrick, General Assembly stated clerk.  "The General Assembly is the
way that we as Presbyterians are convinced is the best way possible for
human beings to discern the mind of Christ.  It allows elected elders and
ministers to come together in prayer and study and sharing in order to
discern the mind of Christ together."
    Bills and Overtures is responsible for the docket during the entire
time the General Assembly is in session.  It schedules when Assembly
committees report to the Assembly, and sets the amount of time allotted for
reports. The committee also reviews the minutes of the Assembly daily.
These minutes are posted the following day for examination by the
commissioners.
    Committee moderator Art Chew of San Diego Presbytery, said the Bills
and Overtures Committee will review four categories of business that come
directly before it:  requests for docket time, requests for distribution of
materials to the commissioners, protests and review of the moderatorial
candidates' expenses.
    In order to maximize efficiency, Chew said, the committee is also
divided into four sub-committees to review these items individually.  Chew
is assisted this year by committee vice-moderator  the Rev. William T.
Bryant, Jr. of Middle Tennessee Presbytery.
    Chew said due to the committee's nature, it could become necessary to
call a Bills and Overtures meeting during an Assembly plenary with
notification being made either from the platform or by special committee
assistants known as "trackers."  Since it is imperative that committee
leaders know the whereabouts of committee members at all times, Chew made
it an essential point of business to get the names, telephone and hotel
numbers of all committee members.
    While loaded down by meeting's end with additional materials and
briefings from Office of the General Assembly staff and others, Elder
Katharine Carr Esters, a committee member from Mississippi Presbytery, said
she is prepared to get to work.  Although this marks her first year serving
on the Bills and Overtures Committee, Esters said she has attended more
than a dozen Assemblies before and after Reunion and summed up her
committee's role succinctly:  "We're here to weed out the flow of
information," she said jokingly.  "I'm from Mississippi and I use plain
language."