From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Hollywood Producer Urges Presbyterians to Support Media Literacy

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusanews@pcusa80.pcusa.org>
Date 15 Jun 1998 15:43:01

14-June-1998
GA98023

    Hollywood Producer Urges Presbyterians to Support Media Literacy
            Efforts Presbyterian Media Mission Luncheon

                          by Bill Lancaster

CHARLOTTE, N.C.-Hollywood's doors are open, her people are spiritually
hungry, and Presbyterians need to step in and share the treasure they have
nurtured through the years.  The treasure the speaker was referring to is
centered prayer and meditation.
    Hollywood TV/film producer Michael Rhodes, a member of the Brentwood
Presbyterian Church in Los Angeles, told a large crowd at the Presbyterian
Media Mission (PMM) luncheon Sunday, "Out there in Hollywood, we put our
pants on the same way you do, and we have the same concerns that you do.
As a fellow Presbyterian Christian, I want you to know there is a great
spiritual hunger which exists in Hollywood just as it does throughout the
rest of the country."  He called on Presbyterians to help.  He said
centered prayer and meditation is "powerful" when people take time to
practice it.
    He said the TV/film industry is show business, and is often driven by
the bottom line.  But Hollywood's people have deep spiritual hungers and
want to produce meaningful films and programs.
    Rhodes, who has produced episodes of "China Beach," "Christy,"
"Promised Land," and "Beverly Hills 90210," cited "Christy," "Touched by an
Angel," and "Nothing Sacred" as evidence of Hollywood's new openness to
spiritual themes.  He also listed a number of Hollywood's influential
figures who are deeply spiritual.
    He said in spite of Hollywood's violence and sex, "by and large, the
movies that are most successful are those that express values similar to
your own."
    He said, "CBS received more cards and letters supporting `Christy' than
in the entire history of any other show that was being threatened with
cancellation."
    "How should we as leaders of the Christian church respond to this new
interest and spiritual hunger in our world?" he asked.  "You guys are way
ahead of me," he said.  "Media literacy, that's a big thing.  And as I
looked into this, you folks are pioneering in this area.  And the National
Council has declared this Media Awareness Year."
    In addition, he pointed to the cooperative venture between the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)'s Office of Communication and PMM to develop a
network of media literacy trainers to work with synods, presbyteries and
congregations to create a grass roots media literacy program.  People
involved with this at the denominational level are Associate Director of
Communication Gary Luhr, PMM Executive Director Gregg Hartung and staffer
John Silbert, Media Services Coordinator Ann Gillies, and Presbyterian
media consultant Rich Thompson.
    "All I ask is that you support them.  It is terribly, terribly
important," he said.  "The doors of Hollywood are open to you.  And it is
terribly important that you help your parishioners understand, as we race
toward the millennium, this phenomenon we call media, in a world where
there are more televisions than toilets, where children by the time they
are six years old will have spent more time with television than [they
will] with their fathers in a lifetime.  And when the average student
spends twice as much time in front of the TV than he does in school, your
ability to understand and respond in faith to this phenomenon we call the
entertainment world is critical."
    He said he got into the movie business by an unusual route.  He went to
Yale, then responded to the Rockefeller Foundation who said they were
looking for folks who "wouldn't otherwise go to seminary."  "I convinced
them I wouldn't otherwise go," he said, and went to the Pacific School of
Religion in Berkeley for one year in 1967.  There, he asked the big
questions, including "where is God at work in the world?"
    He and his wife went to work with a youth group at a small Methodist
church in Oakland with only five young people.  The young people wanted to
make a movie, but Rhodes had never done this, and with only five young
people he felt they needed to join with another small group, a black
Methodist group whose young people "had learned their lessons well from
some great teachers--Eldridge Cleaver and Bobby Seals."
    He said, "what happened was that the walls of prejudice and fear
evaporated in doing the movie."  He said "God was clearly at work here!
Bingo!  I got it.  I knew what I wanted to do for the rest of my life."