From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Patricia Brown Preaches at Opening Worship

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusanews@pcusa80.pcusa.org>
Date 15 Jun 1998 16:08:59

14-June-1998
GA98017

    Patricia Brown Preaches at Opening Worship

    by Nancy Rodman

CHARLOTTE, N.C.--Elder Patricia G. Brown, moderator of the 209th General
Assembly, preached as Presbyterians nearly filled the Charlotte Coliseum
for the 210th General Assembly's opening Service of Worship and Holy
Communion.
    With Shelter, Nurture, and Spiritual Fellowship of the Children of God,
the second Great End of the Church, as her theme, Brown spoke of loss of
community in a world of downsizing and broken relationships and asked where
we are to find togetherness now if not in the church.  The church is a
community of faith, signed and sealed with the grace of God's unconditional
love, she continued.  It is in the church that we are nurtured with the
bread and the cup.
    Citing Loren Mead, Brown asserted that the church must become the
center that supports the human need for community.  It is in ministry to
people in need that the church rediscovers its identity as the community of
faith.  Brown drew on her experiences as she traveled the church as
moderator, sharing stories of the creative, vital ministries she observed.
It is when we proclaim the shelter, nurture, and spiritual fellowship of
the children of God as one of our greatest goals, she said, that we can
enjoy new relationships with each other and with God.
    Mission personnel retiring after 20 or more years of service were
recognized and presented with plaques.  Global Partners in Mission in the
U.S.A. were presented and international and U.S.A. mission personnel were
commissioned.
    Music for the opening Service of Worship and Holy Communion was
provided by the Mass Choir, Mass Handbell Choir, organists Robert Stigall
and Richard Peek, the Carolina Brass, Loch Norman Pipe Band, Steel Pros,
and the Young Singers of Darlington.  Cotton Memorial Dance Ministries
performed the liturgical dance.  Bettye Walker was the soprano soloist and
Loonis McGlohon was the piano soloist.
    The offering given during the worship service amounted to $36,953.97.
It will support projects maintaining or enhancing the physical, cultural,
or spiritual environment of the eight racial ethnic colleges and
institutions related to the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).