From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Increased Mission Giving Tops Gac's Report to Assembly

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Jun 1998 22:59:19

14-June-1998
GA98020

    Increased Mission Giving Tops Gac's Report to Assembly

    by Julian Shipp

CHARLOTTE, N.C.--The biggest increase in financial support of mission
activities overseen by the General Assembly Council (GAC) since 1983 topped
the Council's report to the General Assembly here June 14.
    Shared mission support, or money that is given without restrictions on
its use, increased by more than 4.8 percent, while directed mission support
increased by 1.1 percent. According to Fred Denson, outgoing GAC chair,
support of the denomination's four Special Offerings--Christmas Joy, One
Great Hour of Sharing, Peacemaking and Witness--increased by a combined
total of 10.5 percent, while giving to the Theological Education Fund (1%
Plan) increased by nearly 9.5 percent. Together, Denson said, increases
from various sources provided $6 million more in 1997 than in 1996.
    Denson reported  the GAC has also elected John Detterick as GAC
executive director. Detterick, president of the Presbyterian Church
(U.S.A.) Board of Pensions, will become the denomination's new executive
director if he is confirmed by the Assembly  June 18. The Rev. Curtis
Kearns, Jr., National Ministries Division director, will also appear before
the Assembly for confirmation this week.
    The Rev. Frank Diaz, interim GAC executive director, said the situation
was bleak indeed in 1996 following what he described as one of the "worst
Assemblies" he's attended. Intense debate on ordination and human
sexuality, and the failure to confirm former GAC executive director the
Rev. James Brown for a second term, left many Presbyterians pondering if
the denomination would survive.
    However, Diaz said, an emphasis on the Six Great Ends of the Church and
a renewed commitment to prayer resulted in a dramatically improved
situation.
    "It has been a very good year," Diaz said.  "And I'm sure that with
your continued prayers, we will have many more good years."
    Another encouraging initiative reported by the GAC is its Church Growth
Strategy Team, which is charged with increasing membership in the church,
with a particular outreach to racial-ethnic members and groups. Initial
plans were presented at the 1997 General Assembly to meet a goal set by the
1996 Assembly to increase racial/ethnic membership of the Presbyterian
Church to 10 percent by the year 2005 and 20 percent by the year 2010 (it
is presently 6.8 percent). Detailed proposals will come to this year's
Assembly.
    "I'm really excited about this program and I know it's going to be an
important part of our denomination for many years to come," Denson said.
    "If this doesn't make you glad to be a Presbyterian, then I don't know
what will," said the Rev. Douglas W. Oldenburg, moderator of the 210th
General Assembly (1998).