From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

The Best Days Begin with Worship

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 16 Jun 1998 20:54:48

15-June-1998
GA98032

    The Best Days Begin with Worship

    by Joanne Hines

CHARLOTTE, N.C.--The Third Great End of the church is the Maintenance of
Divine Worship.  If  that sounds stuffy and out of date, you would never
have known it in worship on Monday morning. The soul stirring music of the
Clanton Presbyterian Church Gospel Choir called us to wake up and reclaim
the  importance of worship for the Church.  Gospel music, lovely organ
offerings from William Crowder and the old and new hymns of the church
resounded as commissioners and friends lifted their voices in song and
prayer.
    Drawing on Psalm 137 and the experience of Paul on the isle of Patmos
as recorded in the first chapter of Revelation, Larry Hill, pastor of
Matthews-Murkland Presbyterian Church of Charlotte preached to an
enthusiastic congregation of commissioners and friends.
    Reminding us that our unity relies on the Spirit, Hill eloquently both
chided and cheered us to remember that we, like Paul, are always together
in the Spirit on the Lord's day.  And though we are sometimes divided by
distance or doctrine - we can be together in worship and witness. The same
Spirit who bound Paul to the Christian community though he was miles from
them is the one which binds us to each other.
    With increasing fervor and enthusiastic response from the congregation,
he urged us not to forget that we can celebrate or despair our differences,
but we are still one people - God's people. He reminded us that Christ will
give us new life and vitality and keep us together if we remember who we
are. "The Assembly has been called to order," he said, "but more
importantly, we have been called to worship!"
    Ending his message on a resounding note,  Hill reminded us that, as
Presbyterians, we are at our best when worshiping, working and praying.
And when Presbyterians are at their best, nobody does it any better.
    Participants in the service included musicians from two churches,
several pastors in the Presbytery of Charlotte, the Presbytery of Salem and
the executive presbyter of the Presbytery of Providence.