From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Feminist, Anti-Racist, Revolutionary Sees Hope for Growth and Unity

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 16 Jun 1998 21:34:39

15-June-1998
GA98025

Feminist, Anti-Racist, Revolutionary Sees Hope for Growth and Unity

by Allison Politinsky

CHARLOTTE, N.C.--Katie Cannon, the first African-American woman to be
ordained as a pastor in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), says there is
hope for racial unity and racial/ethnic growth in the Presbyterian Church
(U.S.A.) That is if the denomination takes a serious, systemic approach to
breaking down the barriers.
    The initiative being proposed at this year's General Assembly-- to make
the denomination more inclusive-- "cannot be a lukewarm Band-Aid," Cannon
said. "One of the things people have to do is to get honest about the
history of racism and about how there are different standards for [people
of other races] even in friendships."
    The associate professor of religion at Temple University in
Philadelphia deals regularly with preconceptions of racism by teaching
workshops over an 18-month period to groups of individuals trying to face
their beliefs head on.
    "When I started this process, I knew I was racist but I didn't know how
hard it was to change," Cannon said. "It is not just about changing a
personality one on one, but we need to take on the systemic prejudices. You
need to raise people's consciousness."
    Some people honestly do not understand that by being born male, or by
being born white they are not "ordained by God" to be superior, Cannon
continued. These notions are falsehoods that must be understood and
revealed. Those who have learned how to face their own racism have to pass
on the lessons to others like becoming "pebbles in the pond." Even with a
committed core, she said, it will not be easy to change the system on a
grand scale.
    "Those who are oppressing others have some power vested in the existing
system," according to Cannon. " What is it going to cost me to make this
change? If the benefit doesn't outweigh the cost, people are not willing to
make the changes."
    A graduate of Johnson C. Smith Theological Seminary in Atlanta and
Union Theological Seminary in New York, Cannon previously taught at New
York Theological Seminary, Harvard Divinity School and the Episcopal
Divinity School in Cambridge.
    Cannon attended the Voices of Sophia breakfast Monday morning and did a
book signing at the Voices of Sophia booth for her newly published "Katie's
Cannon: Womanism and the Soul of the Black Community."  She is also the
author or editor of "Black Womanist Ethics, God's Fierce Whimsey," and "The
Implications of Feminism for Theological Education."
    Ordained on April 23, 1974 in Catawba Presbytery, Cannon has provided
leadership in feminism and anti-racism for nearly 25 years. She teaches the
areas of  liberation theology, and "anything with race, sex, and class,"
and calls herself the "designated revolutionary in residence" at Temple
University.