From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

New Moderator Has a Message

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 16 Jun 1998 23:34:11

15-June-1998
GA98038

    New Moderator Has a Message

    by Jane Hines

CHARLOTTE, N.C.--G.A. Moderator Douglas Oldenburg said in a press
conference after his election that he agreed to run for this office in
order to be an advocate for education and for children.  "Being moderator
was never on my radar screen," he said, but when his wife asked what would
motivate him to run, he thought about the children he had seen in Haiti,
and agreed to run because of his deep passion for children in crisis and
for education at all levels. He saw the position of moderator as an
opportunity to speak to the church about what can be done for those causes.
     "And if I can bring respect for each other, that would be a gift I
would like to give the church," he said in response to the question: "What
would you like to say to the whole church tonight?"