From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Curtis Kearns Unanimously Recommended For Additional Term

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusanews@pcusa80.pcusa.org>
Date 16 Jun 1998 14:56:47

15-June-1998
GA98037

    Curtis Kearns Unanimously Recommended For Additional Term

    by Bill Lancaster

CHARLOTTE, N.C.--The Assembly Committee on Mission Coordination and Budgets
unanimously voted to recommend Curtis A.  Kearns, Jr., to the General
Assembly for a second term as director of the National Ministries Division
of General Assembly Council (GAC).
    At its Monday afternoon session, the committee voted for Kearns 48-0-0
by a show of hands, then gave him a standing ovation.
    GAC members Leon Calhoun and Sandra Hawley presented the review
committee's report.  Hawley, chair of the National Ministries Division
(NMD) Committee, cited Kearns' "commitment to Christ and the Church,
theological insights, vision for National Ministries Division, and
effectiveness in planning, organizing and implementing tasks."
    She referred to Kearns as a "decision maker," and said he was very
helpful to the NMD committee in their work.  She said her relationship to
Kearns was "one that I have valued both personally and professionally,
personally because that commitment to Christ and the church comes through
every time we talk.  He is concerned about me as a person and what I am
doing..."
      In contrast to the recent end-of-term reviews of former GAC executive
director James Brown and former Congregational Ministries Division Director
Eunice Poethig, not a single negative note was sounded by the review
committee.
    The review process included sending out 75 questionnaires to
individuals evaluating Kearns' work.  Sixty-three usable (signed) responses
were received, and the input was very positive, Calhoun reported.  The
process also included a two-hour face to face interview, and the approval
of the NMD committee.
    Kearns, in a statement during the discussion time before the vote, said
he was "thankful" for the opportunity to serve.  He said, "I feel that it
is a "true call that I am answering, and I am committed to making the best
of the call in my service to God and in the ministry of our Lord Jesus
Christ."
    He said, "I think that a national program is important, not because it
should be there to run things--there is no particular advantage in
that--but so it can work cooperatively to strengthen the total program of
mission in the church."