From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Theological Issues and Institutions Recommendations

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 22 Jun 1998 00:37:04

19-June-1998
GA98127

       Theological Issues and Institutions Recommendations
    on Calendar and Hispanic Worship Resources Draw Controversy

                      by Allison Politinsky

CHARLOTTE,N.C.--The General Assembly agreed today with the Theological
Issues and Institutions Committee that Hiroshima Day should be struck from
the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) calendar, but did not agree with the
committee's recommendation regarding Hispanic groups ability to comment in
a different manner on worship resources produced by the denominational
offices. A resolution on accepting a paper, "Building Community among
Strangers" was also changed from the committee recommendation.
   On the subject of Hiroshima Day, there was much debate about the
implication of remembering the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in
World War II. Some World War II veterans found this very offensive. Others
felt it was necessary to recognize the seriousness of the threat of nuclear
weapons. However, the committee had recommended to drop the day from the
calendar and the Assembly approved that recommendation.
   The Committee had also recommended disapproving a proposal to set up a
new procedure for developing and approving Hispanic worship resource
materials. It was the committee's understanding, according to moderator
Cathy Northrup, that a mechanism was already in place to ensure voices from
the Hispanic community were included in the process.
   Joseph Small, Office of Theology and Worship, tried to explain that the
task force which has developed Hispanic resource materials since 1991
includes many members of the Hispanic Presbyterian Community. "We intend to
consult carefully with members of the Hispanic community when we develop
worship resources," Small said.
   However, the Assembly decided against the committee's recommendation. A
new motion was proposed to include two other Hispanic groups in the
approval process for worship materials. One advisor said that the church
needs to have more grace and openness to the Presbyterian Church's
ethnic/racial groups.
   Bob Angus of the National Capital Presbytery offered this proposal: That
the Office of Theology and Worship consult with Hispanic Ministries and the
Hispanic Presbyterian Caucus to approve any further Hispanic worship
resources.
   Elder Florence Gum from the Presbytery of Palo Duro in Puerto Rico said.
"We have material like your Discovery curriculum for our classes. It has
Hispanic lay and ordained writers.  The material is marvelous and we love
it. But once the worship book was put together there wasn't any input [from
the Hispanic community]. We are merely asking to be in kinship with the
church."
      The commissioners also changed a resolution from the committee on
receiving a report called "Building Community among Strangers" produced by
the Advisory Committee on Social Witness Policy. The resolution was
amended:
   To direct the Advisory Committee on Social Witness Policy to continue
their work on "Building Community among Strangers," producing a draft study
paper that:
   1) is clearly centered around the confessional and Biblical teachings
about Christ as Lord of all the world and its only hope of reconciliation
and
   2) embodies a tone of mutual respect for differing opinions within our
church.
   GlenWeaver, from the Presbytery of Lake Michigan explained that "The
concept of strangers in the gospel is extremely important in the context of
our confessions."
   Byron Shaffer, New York Presbytery, was troubled by the tone of the
initial report. "We need to be sure to have representation of diversity and
theological perspectives. The original motion calls for the inclusion of
perspectives and I think that is very important."
   The Assembly approved the resolution as amended.