From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

MBM Board addresses young adult ministry

From Beth Hawn
Date 17 Jun 1998 12:51:29

Microsoft Mail v3.0 (MAPI 1.0 Transport) IPM.Microsoft Mail.Note
To:  'Worldwide Faith News'
Date: 1998-06-17 13:16
Message ID: F93EB828D205D211AAB0006008075ABF
Conversation ID: MBM Board addresses young adult ministry

June 17, 1998
Mennonite Board of Missions
Beth Hawn
219-294-7523
<NEWS@MBM.org>

MBM Board addresses young adult ministry issue

HARRISONBURG, Va (MBM) - The Mennonite Church needs to find new
connecting
points with young adults, according to a leader of a binational network
of
leaders working in young adult ministry.

"Look for connecting points," Stan Shantz, pastor of Trinity Mennonite
Church in Glenndale, Ariz., told the Mennonite Board of Missions Board of

Directors during the June 11-13 board meetings here.

Shantz and colleague Dawn Ranck shared their perspectives on the
historical and current situation of young adult ministry as they have
observed and worked with it through The Young Adult Network, a network
created in 1989 and later lodged under General Board supervision.  The
network meets annually at different points across North America to
discuss
current issues and agenda related to young adult ministry in the
Mennonite
Church.

"I'm often asked what exactly is a young adult.  Some say it is persons
age 18 to
22, some extend it to 25, others to 35.  I say it is anyone up to 42 and
that number
will change to 43 [on] July 6," Shantz said, describing his forthcoming
birthday.

"Historically, young adulthood, as we know it, is a recent phenomena,"
Shantz said.  "MYF [Mennonite Youth Fellowship] used to include persons
in
their late 20s, or at least anyone single....There has been a shift.  Has
the
church recognized this shift yet?"

Shantz said most young adults in the Mennonite Church don't look to
church
agencies for service and occupations because they are not part of the 15
to 17
percent that attend Mennonite schools.  explained that while the church
strongly affirms Mennonite Board of Education's work, the reality is that

only 15 to 17 percent of all Mennonite young adults attend Mennonite
schools.
"We often focus on the micro question of how to get our young adults to
attend
Mennonite schools instead of the macro question of how do we educate
young
adults about Anabaptist faith and life," he said Shantz.

How does the church begin to work at connecting again with young adults?
 Shantz said young adults need to:
* Be treated as adults and given opportunities within the life of
 congregations.
* Find churches that are places of "home and belonging," safe places to
test
 gifts.
* Have a full, recognized voice in church matters. "For example, how many

 young adults are on Mennonite Board of Missions Board of Directors?"
 Shantz asked.
* Be able to find staff who can provide resources for young adult leaders
needs
 to expand.
* Experience a church that thinks beyond just young adults who attend
church
 colleges. "They are on board already," Shantz said.
* See the church on a continued search for new ideas to connect with
them.  The
 church needs to see young adults from a nurture and mission standpoint.
 Pastoral awareness of young adult presence and gifts needs to be
sensitized.
* Support to attend church conventions and network gatherings, especially

for those who cannot afford the costs alone.

One connecting point with young adults, Service Adventure, was featured
in a
report from Minnette and Chad Hostetler, Service Adventure leaders in
Philippi, W.Va.  The Hostetlers shared about the experiences of 18- to
20-year-olds in the 101/2-month program. "We are excited to share our
stories
with you today because Service Adventure is one way Mennonite Board of
Missions is reaching young adults," Minnette said.

The Hostetlers affirmed Shantz's comments, telling how unexpected gifts
emerged from young adults who experienced individual growth through
personal relationships in the community and church that surrounds the
unit
members.

Chad described how one unit member, Ted Spangler of Lancaster, Pa., has
led
the Wednesday-night Bible study at Philippi Mennonite Church.  "Because
of
being affirmed in leading Bible study at church, when the Service
Adventure
units from the East got together for a weekend retreat, Ted volunteered
organize and lead worship for the gathering Sunday morning," he said.
 "Ted
told us afterwards that a year ago he would never have offered to do a
thing
like that."

While Service Adventure is one avenue taking place in young adult
ministry,
there is still a reality that the young-adult segment is missing from
churchwide gatherings.  "At Orlando 97, while 5,000 youth came [with]
several thousand adults, only 100 young adults took part in the young
adult
gathering," Shantz said.  "There is a wide spectrum within young adults
from
ambivalence to commitment about the church.  I don't know what an
'expert' in
young adult ministry looks like.  We just need to keep looking for
connection points."

* * *

MBM staff