From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Former Moderator Honored

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 18 Jun 1998 21:19:13

16-June-1998
GA98046

    Former Moderator Honored

    by Emett Barfield

CHARLOTTE, N.C.--Former moderator Marj Carpenter [207th General Assembly]
was honored Tuesday by the National Association of Presbyterian Scouters
and the Boy Scouts of America with the "God and Service Award."  At the
annual breakfast, Dr. Paul A. Winchester, president, stated, "The God and
Service Award is the highest given by the church and the Boy Scouts of
America.  Unlike so much of Scouting, you cannot work for it, but it is
given as an honor."  The award is given to those who have given
exceptionally of time and service to Scouting.
    Russell Fury praised the former moderator for her years of
distinguished service both to the church and to Boy and Girl Scouting. He
pointed to the fact that Marj served as leader at one point in her life for
two Girl Scout troops and a Cub Scout den. As journalist, Fury observed,
she covered Scouting activities affording them the recognition for the
service and work they deserve. Citing, her famous moderatorial motto,
"Mission, Mission, Mission," he affirmed her life to be one of mission to
youth in particular. Her life texts, the Great Commission and the Good
Samaritan, certainly are evidenced by her work with youth throughout her
career.
    In accepting, Marj said: "My father loved Scouting. I know that he is
truly proud of me today. A lot of my former Scouts [Boys and Girls] are
Presbyterian elders today. I'm hoping my grandson who is a Scout will be an
elder someday."
    She concluded with this benediction: "Thank you all. I love kids. I
love you, Scouts. God bless you young Scouts. Hang in there."