From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Ecumenical Worship Service Attracts Crowd

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusanews@pcusa80.pcusa.org>
Date 18 Jun 1998 12:43:46

17-June-1998
GA98063

    Ecumenical Worship Service Attracts Crowd

    by Jane Hines

CHARLOTTE, N.C.-- A standing-room-only crowd attended the Assembly's
Ecumenical Service of Worship on Wednesday morning, June 17.  Stated Clerk
Clifton Kirkpatrick introduced Joan Brown Campbell, General Secretary of
the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A., who preached
the sermon.  She emphasized the message sent by God through Mary, the
vehicle of God's gift of life through Jesus, that love is universal, meant
for all to share.  "We pray with one voice, " she said.  Perfect unity may
not come in our time, but our prayers may join with the prayers of all time
if  we are faithful , if we can trust, if we can dare to commit ourselves
anew to the vision of the Magnificat.  That was a message of unity shared
in the sermon, which ended with these words: "The promises of God are true
and that is all we really need to know."  The closing hymn was "O Church Of
God United."
     The offering was designated for the Sudan Council of Churches, as they
work to proclaim unity and work toward peace  in a land of contrasts,
divided by strife and civil war.
        Kirkpatrick said he had invited Joan Brown Campbell to preach as
being most appropriate in the tenth year of "Celebrating the Ecumenical
Decade of the Churches in Solidarity with Women."  Liturgists during the
service included ecumenical delegates Finlay Macdonald, Saul Pulido Perez,
Fiama Rakau, Carole Richardson, Nicholas Triantafilou, Diana Lim, Lynne
Herring and Barbara McLean.