From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

"Unleashed: The Wit and Wisdom of Calvin the Dog"

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 18 Jun 1998 20:18:31

17-June-1998
GA98062

    "Unleashed:  The Wit and Wisdom of Calvin the Dog"
 By Calvin T. Dog.  Translated by Chris Glaser.  Illustrated by James Kelley

                     by Nancy Rodman

CHARLOTTE, N.C.--It came as no surprise to be asked to review a new book
whose subject matter is humor and theology.  I am, after all, a creature of
great wit and learning.  The surprise came when I discovered that the
author of the book to be reviewed is a dog - and a dog of uncertain
pedigree at that.  I was tempted to decline to write the review but I had
given my word and the book is, I noted, published by a reputable publisher
of scholarly and theological works as well as those of general interest.  I
hesitated again when I saw that the author needed a translator/amanuensis -
you will observe that I need neither - but, as I say, I had made a
commitment and I am a creature of ancient lineage and impeccable breeding,
and unfailingly true to my word.
    I opened "Unleashed:  The Wit and Wisdom of Calvin the Dog" intent on
completing my assignment with dispatch so I could move on to more suitable
pursuits.  Imagine my astonishment when I found myself captivated by Mr.
Dog's charming humility, wit, and facility with language.  I quickly
discovered that a book promising to be little more than a quick read in
fact offers considerable depth of understanding of the nature of both God
and God's creatures, especially those of the human persuasion.
    Writing that "[we] each have a bite of ultimate truth, a taste of
life's purpose, and a scent of the sacred,"  Mr. Dog offers brief essays on
such varied subjects as respect, integrity, enforced celibacy, love, grace,
fleas, life, scripture, medical care in the United States, and death and
resurrection.  The essays are laced with gentle wit, profound
understanding, and homely analogies.
    My only quibble with "Unleashed:  The Wit and Wisdom of Calvin the Dog"
is the rather idiosyncratic reasoning that allows Mr. Dog to find cosmic
significance in the backward spelling of God.  Tsk, tsk, Mr. Dog.  Those
cats at whom you so glibly bark could teach you a thing or two!
    [Felina de Burma is a Burmese cat who, like the best of her kind,
simply is.  Occasionally she impersonates Nancy Rodman and in that guise,
she works for her living.]