From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

YAD Leaders Sense Unity, Seek to Serve

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 18 Jun 1998 21:20:52

17-June-1998
GA98065

    YAD Leaders Sense Unity, Seek to Serve

    by Jerry Van Marter

CHARLOTTE, N.C.--"I feel like the YADs (Youth Advisory Delegates) are on
fire with love for the Lord, that we really want to serve the church, and
that we are drawn together even when we disagree."
    Such enthusiasm, expressed by YAD co-moderator Zachary Alan Wheeler of
Philadelphia Presbytery, has been exhibited repeatedly by YADs during the
210th General Assembly here.  And the YADS are hoping their spirit will be
infectious during this Assembly.  "I hope that YAD unity will be General
Assembly unity by the end of the week," said Zach's co-moderator, Annika
Lister Stroope, a YAD from Des Moines Presbytery.
    In a June 15 interview, Zach said, "I think the church is really trying
to reconcile ourselves to Christ and thereby reconciling ourselves to each
other."
    Annika graduated a year ago from Swarthmore College in Pennsylvania.
Primarily through summer service trips in Cuba and El Salvador, she has
felt an increasing call to ministry and recently became an Inquirer under
the care of Des Moines Presbytery.
    Zach is a second-year community college student, who considers his
experience as a YAD "a first step into further leadership in the
Presbyterian Church."  He said he doesn't know what form that leadership
will take, "but this experience is a great time to reflect on the Lord's
will, to take another step along my faith walk."

    Annika said a primary benefit of her YAD experience is "the excitement
of hearing about what youth are doing around the country."  She said it
"has been frustrating to see how picky Presbyterians can be, but it is
wonderful to learn about so many ministries of our church that I had no
idea existed before this."