From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Purves Calls for Re-Emphasis on Doctrine

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 18 Jun 1998 21:20:56

17-June-1998
GA98064

Purves Calls for Re-Emphasis on Doctrine
at Presbyterians for Renewal Breakfast

    by Bill Lancaster

CHARLOTTE, N.C.-Andrew Purves, professor of pastoral theology at Pittsburgh
Theological Seminary, called for a renewed emphasis on doctrine before a
large crowd at the Presbyterians for Renewal breakfast June 17.
    He recalled his favorite hymn, an Irish one called "St Patrick's Breast
Plate," about Patrick lacing his tunic in the morning while rehearsing the
great doctrines of the faith.  "I bind unto myself today, the strong name
of the trinity, by invocation of the same, the three in one and one in
three," he quoted the hymn.  The hymn then followed a recitation of the
great doctrines of the faith, as lacing his tunic, "he wrapped himself with
the armor of God--atonement, incarnation, resurrection, cross, and so
forth," he said.
    "Are we a church securely bound by the great doctrines of our faith?"
he asked.  "We cannot be faithful in serving the mission of the church if
we are unfaithful in doctrine.  While we are a church reformed and always
being reformed--and don't forget the end of that sentence, `according to
the word of God'--we also stand within the catholicity of the church,
holding to what has been believed everywhere always and by all."  He said
doctrine is not static but open to reformulating, but neither is it fluid.
    The Bell-Mackay Prize this year was awarded to J.  Christy and Betty
Wilson, long-time Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) missionaries to Afghanistan.
Christy Wilson told a moving story about a blind Afghan man who became a
Christian, took on a powerful leadership role in the church, but was
tortured and killed for his faith in his thirties.  Clayton Bell presented
the prize.
    The Lydia Fund Award was presented to Kellie Lynn Frye, a student at
Fuller Theological Seminary, by former Lydia Award recipient Tracie
Stewart.