From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Oldenburg Appoints Mead Vice-Voderator

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 18 Jun 1998 20:18:15

17-June-1998
GA98069

              Oldenburg Appoints Mead Vice-Voderator

                       by Jerry Van Marter

CHARLOTTE, N.C.--Demonstrating his stated commitment to reach out to all
parts of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), newly elected moderator Douglas
W.  Oldenburg Wednesday appointed the Rev. James E. Mead of Olympia
Presbytery as vice-moderator of the 210th General Assembly.
   Mead finished second in balloting for moderator June 13 and clearly
established himself as the more theologically conservative candidate of the
two.
   "We're going to model for the church what it means to be theologically
different but united in our desire to serve and bring unity to the church,"
Oldenburg told the commissioners.
   Mead said he "is profoundly grateful for this opportunity.  I believe
Doug is the person God has chosen to lead us at this time and am humbled
and honored to stand beside him and serve with him as he leads all of us."
   Mead, 51, is pastor of University Place Presbyterian Church in Tacoma,
Wash.  During the question-and-answer session prior to the election June
13, Mead identified himself as "the only candidate who voted for Amendment
B and against Amendment A."  Oldenburg is on record as having opposed
Amendment B (the former "fidelity and chastity" amendment that is now
G-6.0106b of "The Book of Order") and supported Amendment A (the commonly
called "fidelity and integrity" amendment that was defeated by the
presbyteries this year).