From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Asians Hear Syngman Rhee

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 18 Jun 1998 20:50:18

17-June-1998
GA98073

                     Asians Hear Syngman Rhee

by Midge Mack

CHARLOTTE, N.C.--More than 70 members of  the Presbyterian Asian Council
gathered for dinner Tuesday. The council represents 10 Asian countries in
which there is Presbyterian ministry and mission.
     As dinner finished, National Ministries Division (NMD) Director Curtis
Kearns, read a recent communication from Taiwan, announcing  that Shun Chi
Wang, Associate for Asian Congregational Enhancement in the National
Ministries Division, has been awarded an honorary Doctor of Divinity Degree
from Tainan Theological Seminary in Taiwan.
     Syngman Rhee, Associate Director of Worldwide Ministries Division,
reminded the group that when he came to the church's national offices 26
years ago, no Asians were on any national boards.  Because he was an Asian
serving in a campus ministry,  he was requested to apply for the position
of area director for Asian Ministry. He got the position --- of area
Director for the Middle East.
     "Yet how far we have come," he quipped, naming off a long list of
Asians now associated with the national church,  beginning with  Evelyn
Hwang, a staffer since 1961. Rhee called her "the mother of Presbyterian
Asian staff."
     He also cited the Asian principle of Yin Yang, one without the other
being incomplete,  as the concept behind the council in which each Asian
ministry finds strength in the others.  "We can meet individually, as
ethnic Americans," he said, "but when we are united, we can bring the gifts
this church needs."