From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Clergy Confidentiality to be Explored

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 19 Jun 1998 21:13:23

18-June-1998
GA98089

    Clergy Confidentiality to be Explored

    by Allison Politinsky

CHARLOTTE, N.C.--The issue of clergy confidentiality will be studied for
the next year and recommendations will be reported to the 211th General
Assembly according to the Assembly's vote on Wednesday, June 17.  Ruy
Costa, with the Advisory Committee on Social Witness Policy, brought the
issue before the Theological Issues and Institutions Committee earlier in
the week. The proposal would reaffirm the traditional position of the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), on clergy confidentiality.
    The Presbytery of the Pueblo asked to reaffirm the position due to
increasing pressure from legal entities to reveal information from private
clergy counseling sessions.  The question, Ruy Costa said, is "Do we have
sufficient theological and ethical background to establish a Presbyterian
clergy confidentiality policy?"
    Part of the complication, he said, is that there are sometimes
conflicting obligations of the pastor.  The pastor has a moral obligation
to inform others if it means protecting people from abuse or those who are
in danger of hurting themselves.  At the same time, protecting
confidentiality is vital to the ministerial counseling process.
    In recent years, there have been increasing legal demands placed on
clergy and other professionals who care for people, to be forced by law to
share what they know from private consultations.

    Some clergy believe that they may be able to help a family better on
his or her own, rather than handing it over to authorities, especially when
a great deal of trust is involved.  But groups opposed to clergy
confidentiality fear that a confidentiality policy may allow pastors to
protect themselves from revealing their own abuse.  The question it boils
down to, according to Costa, is, "How much are we willing to stand by our
pastors?"
    The committee's recommendation will allow the Advisory Committee on
Social Witness Policy to consult with the Litigation and Constitutional
Committees.  It is possible, Costa said, that the recommendation will be
that the denomination is not ready to make an interpretation of the
position of the Church.
    "We have to look at the matter to see if we have enough legal and
constitutional information to explore clergy rights in the matter," Costa
concluded.  "If not, we may need a more involved process of defining what a
policy should be."