From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Native American Dinner Celebrates Passages of Life

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 19 Jun 1998 21:14:24

18-June-1998
GA98088

    Native American Dinner Celebrates Passages of Life

    by Allison Politinsky

CHARLOTTE, N.C.--From birth, through rites of passage, to remembering our
ancestors in death, the Native American Consulting Committee (NACC)
celebrated the many ways of grieving and celebrating in community. Native
Americans from across the country made connections from their different
tribes and regions of the country at the NACC dinner on Tuesday, June 16.
    The dinner was hosted by Mary McQuillen, the moderator of the Synod of
Alaska/Northwest.  From the time the first European boats came to the
shores of this country, McQuillen said, the Native Americans offered the
first housing organization and the first food bank, before the government
even existed.  It is a strong Native American custom to welcome other
people of any culture, and to offer food and a place to stay.
    It is also an important custom to share in grief when a community
member is lost.  McQuillen opened the evening with prayer and
acknowledgment of a synod member who had died in recent months.  In
remembering the friend, Sue Johnson, in death, McQuillen said, the group
was celebrating her life.
    "It is the custom of our tribe, the Klinkett, to give a gift of a
blanket with love and prayers," McQuillen said.  "Unfortunately, we were
caught unaware and got the next best thing.  We share with you candles of
hope and carved wooden decorations from the Seneca Tribe in New York. Our
prayers are with you all this year and as long as you need them."

    Through the telling of stories, other NACC members taught dinner guests
about the traditional rites of passage for Native American children. One
rite of passage for young children is intended to help them face reality
and let go of the fantasies of their childhoods.
    "The experience was an important part of my faith building experience,
even later when I became a Christian," said Allison Lewis, a member of the
Hopi tribe.  "It helped me to become a child of God."  Lewis said she
actually does not consider herself to be Hopi.  "Hopi is not a noun," Lewis
said.  "It is a state of being.  I really haven't arrived at that place
yet. It is an ideal state of being.  I try to be Hopi."
    She recalled the devotion of her grandfather when he would try to reach
this state of being every morning.  "Each morning my grandfather went out
to greet the sunrise," Lewis said.  "Each morning he also checked his
cross.  I remember how solemn and respectful he felt about the land we
lived on."
    Finally, the end arrived back at the beginning.  McQuillen shared a
story about June Lorenzo, the moderator of the Task Force on Native
American Ministries, and a member of NACC. Lorenzo had left a bag full of
$200 cash after dashing out to the airport during her last visit with
McQuillen.  McQuillen said it was then up to her as an elder to teach
Lorenzo a lesson not to take God's gifts lightly.
    Llorenzo did her penance by reciting a beautiful poem "It Has Always
Been This Way" about birth, new life, and the sacredness of family love and
tradition.