From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Seminary Presidents Ask for Help Identifying New Students

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 19 Jun 1998 23:20:07

18-June-1998
GA98085

    Seminary Presidents Ask for Help Identifying New Students/
    Offer Answers to Theological Education Questions

    by Allison Politinsky

CHARLOTTE, N.C.--During the 210th General Assembly Theological Issues and
Institutions Committee meeting, the presidents of the 11 theological
schools of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), had a chance to share exciting
news about their ministries, and to answer questions from others.
    The presidents and other leaders participating included: Tom Gillespie-
Princeton; Louis Weeks-Union/PSCE; Barbara Wheeler-Auburn; John Mulder-
Louisville; Don McCullough-San Francisco; Cynthia Campbell-McCormick;
Robert Shelton-Austin; Genevra Kelly, vice president for Institutional
Advancement-Columbia; Dean David Wallace-Johnson C. Smith, and Interim Dean
Bradley Longfield, University of Dubuque.  Pittsburgh and Puerto Rico
Seminaries were not in attendance.
    In this Year of Education, Moderator Douglas Oldenburg summed up his
commitment to representing all the Presbyterian seminaries which are
committed to preparing future leaders for the church.
    Don McCullough-San Francisco:  We are the only Presbyterian Seminary in
the west. This gives us a unique position for ecumenical training and we
are reaching out with programs in San Francisco for those who cannot travel
to San Anselmo.
    Cynthia Campbell-McCormick:  Within a very few years, the vast majority
of people will live in urban settings. Our commitments to urban ministry
and our commitment to the variety of world people's gives McCormick a
unique place.
    Tom Gillespie-Princeton:  The first thing that comes to mind is
endowment. We have an $800 million endowment. For that reason, I have my
trustees reading Luke 12 every day. Our problem is to exercise the greatest
stewardship with the resources we have.
    Louis Weeks-Union Seminary/PSCE:  Colleagues in the Assembly last year
will remember the plan for the federation of our two institutions. That was
accomplished on July 1st and we have had one year of life together. This
gives great promise for the life of the church...The purpose of our
federation is to put together these two institutions and retain the very
best out of both of them and make something new that serves the needs of
the church in the 21st Century.
    Barbara Wheeler-Auburn:  We offer an outstanding program for continuing
education. We are the only institution that has a center that studies
theological education. A study this year will examine what the public
thinks of theological education.
    David Wallace-Johnson C. Smith:  We are our denomination's only
predominantly African-American theological seminary. One of the most
significant things that has taken place this year was a pilgrimage to
Ethiopia... which brought together all African representatives and diaspora
in this country. Christianity is growing by leaps and bounds on that
continent. This helped us to think of how we can help prepare leaders of
the church in Africa.
    Robert Shelton-Austin:  We have just completed a self-study involving a
large part of our constituency. We're learning a great many things about
ourselves and how we can be better servants in the church. We will have a
master plan for the 21st Century as well as for our centennial in 2002.
    John Mulder-Louisville:  Much like the Church, Louisville Seminary is
expanding its commitment to families and racial/ethnic ministries. The
Center for Congregations and Family Ministries has been created to assist
congregations in strengthening families, family life, and their role in
communicating Christian faith from one generation to another. The seminary
also reached two unprecedented agreements with regional bodies of  two
predominantly African-American denominations, African Methodist Episcopal
Church and Christian Methodist Episcopal Churches, to prepare their
candidates for the ministry. The seminary also hired three new
African-American faculty members
    Bradley Longfield-Dubuque:   Dubuque is in the middle of a capital
campaign to renew the library.  The seminary has also doubled the number of
United Methodist students in the last few years.
    Genevra Kelly-Columbia:  We are expanding our continuing and lay
education building.. We are also preparing a long-range plan, by pulling
in a lot of faculty and trustees to carry the seminary through the year
2020...That is 22 years.
    Douglas Oldenburg-Moderator of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.):  All
the theological schools are the best kept secret of the church. These
institutions are one of the most important things in the task of preparing
intellectual centers for the church to continue searching God's word and
probing theology and the Word. We appreciate your support and the task of
taking this meeting seriously.
    Question and answers
    How are students selected?
    Weeks-Relationship of prospective student to the church. Many of the
students come out of the life of a local congregation.  When a person
doesn't exhibit that kind of background then we're very careful.  We
receive twice number of applications we admit. It is competitive. In the
Doctoral program there are six applicants per student. We pay attention in
that program to an individual's life in Christ. Schools are paying more
attention to the spiritual development of students. We're looking more at
the spiritual gifts of students and I'm delighted to see how that shift has
occurred.
    What do you see as the capabilities that the seminaries will need most
to prepare future church leaders? Will there be enough students, and enough
high quality students, to meet these needs?
    Wallace-Theological schools will be quite capable of producing the kind
of leadership the church needs. We need not only racial/ethnic persons but
we need theological seminaries to develop spirituality, evangelism, new
church development. I'm also excited about the fact that many seminarians
are second-career persons and they bring lots of unique gifts to the
seminary experience.
    What is the process by which you determine that you are teaching what
churches want them to know?
    Shelton-All the seminaries are eager to respond to the needs of the
church and pastoral leadership. We bring our graduates back to find out how
we have served them. We try to learn about our constituency and needs of
the church. Just as important is the way in which we support our faculty
and administrators to be involved in the local congregations. The faculty
members are often out in the church and they try to fulfill the church's
needs.
    There seems to be a perceived tension between churches and seminaries.
In what way can we support this relationship? What churches are now
participating in the 1% plan.
    John-In one sense there will always be and always should be a tension
between seminaries and the church because it is our job to raise questions
about witness and quality of witness in contemporary setting. But our only
consistency is the church and when the gulf between the seminaries and
congregations is too great, we're in a difficult situation.  In two and
half decades, I've been in theological education our relationship is now
more constructive than earlier in my experience. All of us are recognizing
the tremendous need for us to take seriously the changing character of
congregational life in the 21st Century. One way to address that is in
strengthening field education for all seminaries. A great deal of first
hand experience in congregational life is valuable.
    To churches not part of the 1% plan, I would encourage you to
participate because it is the only way congregations can participate in the
funding of theological seminaries. We no longer receive any centralized
money. This funding is critical for congregations to recognize just as we
provide pensions for pastors there should be some funds to prepare the next
generation of pastors. They need an awareness of the 1% plan and of their
responsibility to call forward candidates for ministry in the future. We
have as a denomination underestimated the importance of congregations
nurturing the next generation of pastors in our church. We train only the
people you send to us and you have to send to us only the best.
    How are seminaries preparing students to respond to calls to small
churches?
    Weeks-People are called primarily in the nurture they receive from
congregations. If that nurture is deep, broad, and challenging then those
who are gifted will be good ministers. If you look at earlier decades,
large portion of ministers came from rural areas and went to towns and
urban areas. Now the reverse is true. Some seminaries have courses on small
church ministry. But part of the work is for congregations to challenge
talented individuals and help them understand that their call can be to
nurture a congregation that is different in size and location.
    One of the new phenomenon is the second career student. Average age in
many schools is between 35 and 40 years of age. Should we be challenging
more students in colleges to go directly to seminary?
    Wallace- It can be an advantage and a disadvantage to have more
second-career people. I think it is very positive because they bring gifts
and experiences. It is a negative in the fact that they won't be able to
serve very long. Our congregations need to take seriously the fact that we
need more young people coming right out of college. Some congregations are
doing a very good job and are involved in the process. I'm always
encouraged by coming to General Assembly and I have been very involved in
training.
    Mulder-One footnote to this phenomenon has a flip side. The people who
are coming into ministry don't stay in ministry for their careers. The
mobility in careers in American society is the same in ministry. That
creates a problem when we try to retain people in ministry. How do we deal
with people who decide ministry is no longer for them?
    What vision of preaching and worship is held by your faculty for the
21st Century?
    Shelton-Across the board there is a strong commitment to proclaim the
word and the community. We would subscribe to the notion that sacraments
and preaching are still strong in ministry. We have tried to do that at
Austin for at least my 27 years. We are studying what is basic and critical
in this context. But if you do not know what is at stake in preaching and
corporate worship you become a victim of whatever comes along. We need to
undergird our graduates in the basics and purpose of what preaching is,
make sure there is a worshiping community centered in the purpose and
various expressions of historical traditions.