From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Racial/ethnic Growth and Family Ministry

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusanews@pcusa80.pcusa.org>
Date 20 Jun 1998 13:39:49

18-June-1998
GA98099

Racial/ethnic Growth and Family Ministry Highlight Louisville
                        Seminary's Future

                      by Allison Politinsky

CHARLOTTE, N.C.--A new program to promote Christian nurturing with families
and congregations, as well as new initiatives to promote theological
education for racial/ethnic students are the highlights for the future at
Louisville Presbyterian Theological Seminary.  Seminary President John M.
Mulder shared details on these initiatives at the seminary's lunch on
Wednesday, June 17 at the 210th General Assembly.
   "The Center for Congregations and Family Ministries at Louisville
Seminary is designed for the simple purpose of promoting the ability of
congregations to minister to the great diversity of families in church
life--and to strengthening families in their ability to communicate the
Christian faith," Mulder explained.
   The Center has had two successful conferences focusing on issues of
"Faith, Families & Congregations," and "Single in the Community of Faith."
Another conference planned in November will focus on "The Spirituality of
Families."
   Secondly, the seminary's emphasis on providing new programs and
scholarships to bring more racial/ethnic students to the seminary coincide
closely with the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)'s own initiatives in growth
in these areas.
   Two unprecedented agreements have been reached between Louisville
Seminary and the regional representing bodies of two predominantly
African-American denominations: the African Methodist Episcopal Church and
the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church. The seminary has agreed to
provide the necessary education and training for students in these
denominations to seek ordination.
   New scholarships have been established to assist candidates for
theological education who are from multi-cultural backgrounds. And, three
new African-American professors have been called to the seminary.  Scott
Williamson teaches Theology and Ethics, Dale Andrews begins serving as
professor of preaching and pastoral theology this fall, and Stephen Ray
will join the faculty in the fall of 1999, after completing his
dissertation, in the area of theology and philosophy.
   To compliment these two growth areas, the Seminary has experienced "a
technological explosion," Mulder added. The web site at www.lpts.edu has
been up since April and provides access to anyone seeking information on
e-mail from any staff, faculty or administrator on campus. Starting next
fall, all students will be required to have Internet access to participate
in certain coursework. The technology explosion has been possible, in large
part, due to a grant from the Lilly Endowment, Inc.
   Finally, Mulder encouraged pastors and leaders in congregations to
continue sending high quality students to seminaries to ensure the future
of the church. "You can make a difference in finding them, and you can help
by funding people who attend seminaries," he concluded.  "Helping to direct
our money and values in the same direction will help the future of the
whole church. We would also ask that you remember us in your prayers. We
know full well that we cannot do what we need to do without the prayers of
those who support us."