From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

The Board of Pensions Fitness Event: A Near-Death Experience

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 21 Jun 1998 04:17:33

18-June1998
GA98102

   The Board of Pensions Fitness Event: A Near-Death Experience

                       by Jerry Van Marter

CHARLOTTE, N.C.--"I will lift up my eyes unto the hills from whence cometh
my help."
   NOT!
   Heartless race route planners cruelly punished the 150 runners, walkers
and rollers who braved the dawn to participate in the Board of Pensions
annual 5K event June 17.
   The start was deceptively encouraging.  Starting on a lovely tree-lined
street behind the Charlotte YMCA, the course early on wended its way down a
picturesque gentle hill.  With a song in my heart and adequate spring in my
legs, I settled into a comfortable pace to enjoy the cool Charlotte
morning.
   My first warning sign came within 200 yards of the start.  John
Detterick, who I have learned from the confirmation materials is 57, blew
by me like I was standing still.  Okay, I can live with that.  But last
year in Syracuse I managed to stay with Bill Henning, who makes Detterick
look like a spring chicken, for the most of the race.  By the bottom of the
hill, Henning was out of sight.
   Then, not even 1K into the race, I found myself wondering if I had
wandered onto a roller-coaster track at Six Flags rather than a race
course.  Now, I know that for every downhill stretch there has to be an
equal uphill stretch.  But this course defied the laws of physics -- by the
4K mark, I'm sure I had already run 3.5K uphill.
   At the 2K mark, a fresh-faced runner breezed by -- this guy hadn't even
broken a sweat -- smiled warmly and said, "Beautiful place, huh?"  He was
long gone before he could hear my reply: "Gee, all pavement looks the same
to me."
   At about the 3K mark, we turned onto Templeton Avenue and I thought, "At
least I'll blow by Judy Freyer (the intrepid investment whiz of the Board
of Pensions) because she'll be pausing here to erect a shrine."  Little did
I know that not only is Judy an investment guru, she's a very sane woman --
she was back with the walkers.
   At the 3.5K mark, Paul Stavrakos pulled up alongside, ran with us for a
few hundred yards, and then said he was running ahead to catch the elusive
Henning.  At the 4K mark, Paul was only about 10 yards in front of us and I
thought, "Well, if he's catching up with Henning, I must be doing pretty
well."  Wrong again, bucko -- Paul never came close to Henning (he claimed
the last brutal hill to the finish line slowed him down "just enough" to
fail in his Henning quest.)
   The highlight of my quixotic folly occurred just past the 4K mark, when
I wheezed past a Charlotte police officer, who was directing traffic while
singing an African American spiritual, "Keep on running, don't stop now."
That saint in blue got me to the finish line.
   Because the course retraced some of its steps -- finishing at the same
point at which it had started -- we concluded the race by running back up
the same "picturesque, gentle hill" that began the race.  Only now it
looked like Everest.  I now understood why the Board was so insistent that
I sign a medical release form well in advance of the race.
   Last year, the 5K followed a lovely, level lakefront path along the
shore of Lake Onondaga in Syracuse.  I am resolved to continue to run this
race as long as God gives me breath, but from now on I think I'll run it in
Syracuse.
   The winners: women runners: Sarah Mellander; men runners: Jim Watkins;
men walkers: Stephen Smith; women walkers: Joy Henning.