From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Washington Office Awards Go To Rep. Clayton and New Covenant

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusanews@pcusa80.pcusa.org>
Date 20 Jun 1998 21:51:18

Presbytery 19-June-1998
GA98112

Washington Office Awards Go To Rep. Clayton and New Covenant Presbytery

                         by Nancy Rodman

CHARLOTTE, N.C.--"We have all come from different places, but we have all
come to the foot of the cross because of our common bond in the love of
Jesus Christ.  We have come to proclaim again that God is still at work in
the world," The Honorable Eva Clayton said to open her keynote address as
the 1998 Presbyterian Washington Office Public Policy Advocacy Awards were
presented Thursday.  Washington Office Director Elenora Giddings Ivory
presented the awards to  Congresswoman Clayton and the Presbytery of New
Covenant.
   Congresswoman Clayton, the first African-American woman to represent the
state of North Carolina and a recently ordained elder at Cotton Memorial
Presbyterian Church in Henderson, was recognized for her strong advocacy
for education and vocational training, economic development, rural health,
the minimum wage, and reducing teenage pregnancy.
   "This General Assembly and dinner represent a time for us to come
together to reflect on our unique opportunity and responsibility to be
faithful to God's will," Congresswoman Clayton said.  She commended the
General Assembly for being active and proactive in social justice.  Noting
the end of the Ecumenical Decade of the Churches in Solidarity with Women,
she outlined the role women can play in partnership with men through the
church.
   Women can take a greater role, not only politically but as citizens,
being active in advocacy and engaged in debate about issues and policy.
They can work to improve the lives of our children as advocates for public
education, effective and accessible child care and early childhood
intervention, health care for all, equity in pay, and the reduction of
teenage pregnancy.
    "Where is the church?" Congresswoman Clayton asked as she spoke of the
need to engage youth constructively to reduce destructive behavior such as
smoking and violence.  She cited statistics of violence against women: four
million women battered every year, one every 13 seconds.  Our charge, she
said, is to love mercy, do justice, and walk humbly with our God.
   New Covenant Presbytery was honored for its sponsorship of an annual
"Church in Washington" legislative seminar in which more than 130 persons
have participated in the last five years.  Participants from the
Houston-area presbytery, which includes seven congressional districts, meet
with Washington Office staff, hear from other church-related advocacy
groups and visit their Members of Congress.
   When the participants return home, they lead public policy advocacy
training for their congregations.  The key to the success of the program is
the commitment to educating participants on the Reformed theological and
biblical understanding of justice, issues facing our nation, and effective
advocacy techniques.