From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Technology and theology meet for lunch

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 21 Jun 1998 20:07:48

19-June-1998
GA98120

              Technology and theology meet for lunch

                         by Joanne Hines

CHARLOTTE, N.C.--The Presbyterian Association on Science, Technology and
the Christian Faith gave attendees a lot to chew on at lunch on Thursday.
This group both challenges and assists Presbyterians to understand and act
on the implications which science has on the theology, worship, practice
and moral action for our church. Speaker Anne Foerst, a computer scientist
and theologian presented a humorous and thought-provoking treatise on her
post doctoral work on Artificial Intelligence (AI) as a Research Fellow at
the Center for Studies in Values in Public Life at Harvard Divinity School.
   Dr. Foerst explored the relevance and implications of a dialogue between
Artificial Intelligence (i.e. robots and computerized "beings") and
theology for our contemporary culture.  The information centered around
studies exploring whether an artificial intelligence can ever become true
human intelligence.
   We have both humanized robots and co-opted computer language to describe
our own intelligence, she said;  however we really do not have any
artificial intelligence which comes close to the human thought process.
Every attempt to define intelligence empirically has failed. The fear we
have about AI is, if we can make a robot which is just like a human then,
"how are we special anymore?"  What does that mean about the dignity and
importance of humanity which, according to our theological understanding,
is made in the image of God?  Though we may fear this technical knowledge,
Foerst urged attendees to become knowledgeable about new scientific
findings, to be open to understanding and to respect our own nature, that
of "Imago Dei," made in the image of God. And it is up to us, she said, as
to how much power we willing to give science over our humanity.
   Earlier in the week, the Association honored Iain Campbell, Derek
Pursey, Rebecca Stricklin and Robert Wagner with the "Science as a
Christian Vocation" award.