From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Nicene Creed Will Be Sent to Presbyteries for Votes

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 22 Jun 1998 00:34:57

19-June-1998
GA98126

               Contemporary Version of Nicene Creed
              Will Be Sent to Presbyteries for Votes

                 by Jane Hines and Bill Lancaster

CHARLOTTE, N.C.--The 210th General Assembly has directed the stated clerk
to send the following proposed amendment to the "Book of Confessions" to
the presbyteries for their affirmative or negative votes: (The amendment
shall be adopted if it receives in writing the approval of two-thirds of
the presbyteries and is approved and enacted by the 211th General Assembly
in l999.)
   Shall the "Book of Confessions" be amended by striking the current
English translation and inserting the following contemporary translation
prepared by the English Language Liturgical Commission:
"We believe in one God,
the Father, the Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all that is, seen and unseen.

We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,
the only Son of God,
eternally begotten of the Father,
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made,
of one Being with the Father;
through him all things were made.
For us and for our salvation
he came down from heaven,
was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary
and became truly human.
For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate;
he suffered death and was buried.
On the third day he rose again
in accordance with the Scriptures;
he ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead,
and his kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father and the Son,
who with the Father and the Son is worshiped and glorified,
who has spoken through the prophets.
We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic church.
We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
We look for the resurrection of the dead,
and the life of the world to come.  Amen."
   The Assembly disapproved by a vote of 302-215-5 a recommendation from
its Catechisms & Confessions Committee to appoint a committee to study the
existing translations of the Heidelberg Catechism.  The committee would
have reported to the 213th Assembly and possibly recommended a different
translation to be used in the "Book of Confessions."  The concern revolves
around a reference to homosexuals in question 87 of the current
translation.