From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

PFR Offers Training to Commissioners/advisors

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusanews@pcusa80.pcusa.org>
Date 21 Jun 1998 10:37:17

19-June 1998
GA98124

Presbyterians for Renewal (PFR) Offers Training and Free Lunch to
                      Commissioners/advisors

                      by Allison Politinsky

CHARLOTTE--There was standing room only in the lunch hosted by the
Presbyterians for Renewal (PFR) on Friday, June 19. For the first time this
year, PFR offered a special training session for commissioners on the
opening Saturday of the General Assembly.
   In addition, the group has hosted lunches Monday through Friday to allow
commissioners and advisors to get clarification on issues of procedure or
amendment questions that come up during the Assembly. The lunch is open to
all interested parties but commissioners and advisors are not required to
pay.  Friday's lunch featured a club sandwich plate.
   During the lunch, discussion took place among attendees about the
critical issues before the General Assembly. "An issue of
self-determination for the terminally ill will be coming up later today,"
said Henry Greene, former president of PFR and a pastor observer at General
Assembly.  He asked for clarification from others on what the term
"self-determination" means. Some explained that this is considered suicide.
But, it is not assisted suicide. Some members of the group indicated that
voting on the minority report to refer the issue to committee would slow
down consideration of this complex issue.
   "Has anyone ever pointed out that the Book of Confessions, Question 135,
commits the church to preserve the lives of ourselves and others?" asked J.
Duncan Boyd from Covington, La. "Has that been discussed? Confessionally we
can't support euthanasia.".

Greene said he did not believe that point had come up in debate and
encouraged Boyd and others to bring it up for discussion. "Don't forget
that it is never too late to call the question," said Greene. "It is not
too late until the moderator's gavel closes the Assembly."
   The group also discussed upcoming amendments including abortion and
clarification on the Heidelberg catechism regarding its reference to
homosexuality.
   In the closing prayer, Greene prayed to God to help commissioners work
"for clarity, and against deception. [Lord] work in the hearts and minds of
the commissioners so they can see the way you would have us go."
   Executive director of PFR, Joe Rightmyer, explained after the luncheon
that the purpose of these meetings is "to seek to clarify issues, and
explain the process, and pray with and for commissioners."
   "We bring a particular perspective to the Assembly," he continued. "In
printed form, we also have available every day an insert in our magazine,
supplies and materials. We offer our perspective on most significant
issues."
   So far, PFR sees the convention as going very well, Rightmyer said. "The
whole spirit of this convention is very uplifting without rancor or
animosity. The call for a spiritual sabbatical which was reiterated by all
the moderator candidates, plus the way in which the election was held, set
a congenial tone for the entire assembly."