From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

People, Relationships, and Trust" Are Key Words for Detterick

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusanews@pcusa80.pcusa.org>
Date 21 Jun 1998 12:36:24

19-June-1998
GA98125

"People, Relationships, and Trust" Are Key Words for Detterick as He Begins
Work

                        by Bill Lancaster

CHARLOTTE, N.C.--"People, relationships and trust" are three words that
underlie the three foci John J. Detterick brings to his work as executive
director of the General Assembly Council (GAC), he told a news conference
June 19.
   Detterick, 57, was confirmed and installed by the 210th General Assembly
June 18 in what outgoing interim executive director Frank Diaz called "the
most positive message [going out of the Assembly] in a long time."
Detterick, an elder in the Wayne Presbyterian Church in Wayne, Pa., will
begin his duties August 12.  He has been president of the Board of Pensions
of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)  since 1993.
   The three foci he will bring are: "supporting and enabling mission
through congregations and presbyteries," supporting "a cohesive and
service-oriented staff;" and supporting the General Assembly Council "in a
pro-active and constructive definition of its future role."
   "Underneath those three goals," he told the news conference, "are three
very important words--people, relationships, and trust.  Those are the real
key elements to what I hope we can focus on.  It's people that we need to
focus on serving, people coming together in their congregations and coming
together in presbyteries.  It's people doing, serving, working together in
teams.
   "It's relationships.  People have relationships with each other.  When
we have relationships, we know each other.  We know each other for our
beauties and our flaws and love each other in Christ for that and in spite
of our differences.
   "Out of being people and being in relationship and understanding each
other comes trust, trust in each other.  And if we can begin to build those
relationships, if we can focus on people, trust will come.  When trust
comes, we really will come together as a community of the church, a rich
and diverse church with great diversity, diversity of people and diversity
of theology, but coming together.  That's where I hope we will be as we
enter the 21st century, serving each other."
   In his speech before the Assembly when confirmed, Detterick elaborated
on the three foci.
   "First: I will focus on supporting and enabling mission through
congregations and presbyteries.  Quality service organizations have a clear
understanding of who they serve and of the expectations of those they
serve.  We must ask,  what do congregations need from us to facilitate
their mission work?'  Typically, Presbyterians begin to experience the
larger community of the church in their presbyteries.  We must ask,  what
do presbyteries need of us to facilitate their mission work?'  The gap
between congregations and presbyteries and the GAC is huge.  And we must
forge stronger partnerships with the synods, sharing resources together to
support and enable mission through congregations.
   "Second: I will bring a focus on supporting a cohesive and
service-oriented staff.  Quality service is provided by committed and
empowered people working together with a common vision.  I have been in and
out of the GAC offices in Louisville enough to know that the council is
blessed with many very gifted and talented people who have a strong desire
to serve the church.  I've also observed that their work has been buffeted
by restructuring, financial pressures and turmoil.  We need to create a
supportive and productive work environment for the General Assembly staff
that equips and supports them in the process of serving congregations and
presbyteries.
   "And finally, I will bring a focus on supporting the council in their
pro-active and constructive definition of their own future.  You may know
that there are several committees presently working and considering
restructuring issues for the General Assembly Council.  It seems that
everybody knows at least one thing the council could do better.  This is an
opportune time to be supportive of and interactive with these outside
committees.  This is an opportune time to move ahead in focusing more
intently on new ways for the General Assembly Council to demonstrate
responsive and efficient service to the church in the 21st century."
   Search committee chair Lynda Ardan told the Assembly, "The reasons why
the search committee selected John were: his very strong sense of call to
this position; his commitment to Jesus Christ and to the mission of the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.); his proven management, financial ability and
experience with large, complex organizations.  He is well-known and
respected throughout this denomination.  He's a good listener, and he
projects a sense of calmness even during difficult times.  He sees the
focus of the General Assembly Council is to enable and support
congregations and presbyteries in mission involvement."
   Ardan said the search committee asked Detterick to assess the health of
the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)  and its governing bodies.  She said, "He
answered,  Jesus tells us to feed my lambs and tend my sheep.  Assessing
the health of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)  is not about numbers of
members, or churches or size of budgets.  It's about how well we proclaim
the good news and feed the poor.  The challenge before the Presbyterian
Church (U.S.A.) is to enable and support the working of the Holy Spirit in
ways that are more relevant to congregations and presbyteries while
nurturing the sense of community as the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).'"
   In the news conference, Detterick was asked what the prophetic role
(leading congregations and presbyteries) of the denomination might be in
light of his service emphasis.
     He answered, "For the prophetic side to be healthy, I think the
servant side needs to be healthy first.  I'm convinced that if we can focus
on being wonderful, efficient, effective servants to congregations and
presbyteries and build relationships among people and trust level, then the
national church will be in a position to be very effective as a prophetic
voice and will be in synch with the church as much as it can possibly be
and actually be in a position to be getting out in front.  But when we are
not functioning well as servants, I don't think we can be out in front as
well.  So, I think we need to do our homework first."
   The unanimous vote of approval in the Assembly was preceded by the
unanimous vote of the Assembly Committee on Mission Coordination and
Budgets in concurring with the General Assembly Council (GAC) in
recommending Detterick. Ardan also reported the search committee was
unanimous in approving Detterick after considering 62 potential candidates
and interviewing four.