From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Commentary: The church as a ship or our mother

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 30 Jun 1998 12:26:39

June 30, 1998        Contact: Tim Tanton*(615)742-5470*Nashville, Tenn.
{386}

NOTE:  A photograph of Carder is available with this story.

By Bishop Kenneth L. Carder*

The image we use for the church makes all the difference in the world.
The Bible has many images for "church." People of God, household, holy
nation, body of Christ, royal priesthood, flock, new creation - these
are but a few of the ways the Bible talks about the church.

A magazine recently published an image of the United Methodist Church as
a sinking ship. Randy Cooper, a Memphis Conference pastor, wrote a
letter to the editor of the magazine challenging the use of such an
image. Randy affirmed that if the church is viewed as a ship, which is
to navigate safely in calm seas, then it might be appropriate to abandon
it when the storms rage and the water is turbulent. However, Randy
offered a much more biblically based and theologically sound image.

Randy suggested that the church should more correctly be imaged as our
mother. He sensitively reminds us all that mothers are not to be
abandoned, especially in their time of distress and danger. In fact, it
is in times of threat and sickness that we are most supportive of our
mother. We want to be by her side, comforting and supporting her. We
will go to exceptional lengths to nurture and care for her. We will be
present with her, pray for her, give to her, reassure her and even
apologize to her for our past failures.

I was moved by Randy's letter, which he shared with me and the cabinet.
The United Methodist Church is my mother in the faith. She has given
birth to my experience of God's prevenient, justifying and sanctifying
grace. She taught me the stories of Jesus, called me into ministry,
educated and formed me as a pastor, and permitted me to share in God's
global mission. The church has nurtured me through worship, fellowship,
study and service. She continues to love, challenge, support and correct
me.

I can never repay the church, as I can never repay the mother who gave
me life and who continues to love me. Neither can I abandon her,
especially in times of distress and threat. I find it regrettable when
others suggest that abandoning her or withdrawing support from her is
somehow a courageous, responsible or loving act.

John's Gospel contains this image from the cross: "When Jesus saw his
mother and the disciple whom he loved standing beside her, he said to
his mother, 'Woman, here is your son.' Then he said to the disciple,
'Here is your mother.' And from that hour the disciple took her into his
own home." (John 19:26-27).

We would do well to ponder the image of the church as our mother and
care for her as Jesus cared for his mother, especially in his and her
time of distress and suffering.

# # #

*Carder is the bishop of the Nashville Area, which includes the
Tennessee and Memphis annual conferences. This United Methodist News
Service commentary appeared first as a column in the weekly newspapers
of those two conferences.

United Methodist News Service
(615)742-5470
Releases and photos also available at