From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

College News

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusanews@pcusa80.pcusa.org>
Date 28 Jul 1998 13:31:56

28-July-1998
98237

    College News

    by Julian Shipp

ELKINS, W. Va.-G. Thomas Mann, a long-time faculty member and senior
administrator in higher education, assumed his duties as president of Davis
& Elkins College July 1 upon the retirement of president Dorothy I.
MacConkey, who had served as chief executive officer since 1984. Mann joins
the college after serving since 1991 as vice president for academic affairs
and dean of the college and as interim president (1994-95) at West Virginia
Wesleyan College in Buckhannon. He is an elder at First Presbyterian Church
in Buckhannon.

LAURINBURG, S.C.-St. Andrews Presbyterian College has received a $1 million
pledge from a generous benefactor who wishes to remain nameless. The pledge
comes less than a month after the college raised more than $1 million
through the highly successful Laurinburg Area Campaign. The million-dollar
donor is from North Carolina, but did not wish to be otherwise identified.
The campaign, which ended May 31, easily surpassed its half-million-dollar
goal, raising $526,191. The Morgan Foundation of Laurel Hill then presented
a matching gift of $560,000, propelling the local campaign above the
million-dollar mark.

GREENEVILLE, Tenn.-Tusculum College has received a $35,000 scholarship fund
grant from the Charlotte W. Newcombe Foundation of Princeton, N.J. The
money will be used for economically disadvantaged and/or minority students.
Twenty thousand dollars of the scholarship fund will be used in the 1998-99
academic year, while $15,000 is a challenge grant to encourage other donors
to build the Charlotte W. Newcombe Endowed Scholarship Fund, part of the
college's permanent endowment, which the foundation established at the
college in 1988 in memory of Mrs. Newcombe. The college has to match the
$15,000 with $30,000 in endowment monies for the Fund in order to claim the
challenge. A native of Philadelphia, Newcombe was a lifelong Presbyterian
and supportive of Presbyterian-related causes.

CHARLOTTE, N.C.-Queens College recently announced that Florida businessman
John H. Sykes has made a $5 million commitment - the largest gift in the
college's history - to the McColl School of Business at Queens. Sykes' gift
will provide the needed funds to construct a state-of-the-art addition to
the Dana Building, which houses the McColl School of Business. The new
facility will be named the John H. Sykes Business Learning Center and will
offer additional space for new programs in the McColl School. "I have been
truly blessed throughout my life," said Sykes, a Charlotte native who now
resides in Tampa, Fla. "My wife, Susan, and I are delighted to have this
opportunity to give back to Queens College in support of this important
project and to further enhance the Charlotte community we love so much."