From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Reconciliation Walk opens doors

From Beth Hawn
Date 01 Jul 1998 13:47:11

Microsoft Mail v3.0 (MAPI 1.0 Transport) IPM.Microsoft Mail.Note
To:  'Worldwide Faith News'
Date: 1998-07-01 13:32
Message ID: 94899783E410D211AAB0006008075ABF
Conversation ID: Reconciliation Walk opens doors

July 1, 1998
Mennonite Board of Missions
Beth Hawn
219-294-7523
NEWS@MBM.org

ISTANBUL, Turkey (MBM/MMERG) - Just as the Reconciliation Walk rejoins
the
effort this month to spread the words of apology and repentance to the
people
of Turkey, doors to the next leg of the Walk's journey have opened wide.

In April, Matthew Hand, assistant director of the Reconciliation Walk,
met
with officials of the Lebanese Consulate in Washington to discuss how the

Reconciliation Walk might proceed in their country.

"Having worked in the Middle East for some years, I have grown accustomed
listening to compliments and praise of various projects," Hand said.
"However, my experience with our new Lebanese friends showed that their
words were more than pleasantries.  They took immediate action, making
calls
and establishing high-level contacts for the Walk."

Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri's office gave permission to the
Reconciliation Walk to proceed with the project on a large scale in their

country in the last week of May.

The Reconciliation Walk plan remains largely the same as it as been since
the
start of the Walk in 1996.  Small teams from North America and Western
Europe
travel throughout the country, building personal relationships and
delivering the message of apology personally to the people of that land.

So far, the apology has been delivered or explained to Muslims, Jews and
Christians in 13 countries, with the most concentrated amount of time
spent
in Turkey.

With a primary link to the Ministry of Education in Beirut, Lebanon's
capital, the Reconciliation Walk  will have a formal venue with a wide
public
profile in which to deliver the message.  In contacting the people
through the
education structures of the country, the Reconciliation Walk aims to
remain
on neutral ground in terms of the diverse people groups living there.

"I could see that although the Reconciliation Walk only deals with an
aspect
of Lebanon's wounded history," Hand said, "[the Lebanese officials]
recognize it as a model of what must be done to save their country."

As a result of this historic invitation, the Reconciliation Walk plans to

spread the apology as widely as possible throughout Lebanon.  Beginning
in
September, teams are invited to come to Lebanon and share this message of

repentance through the end of 1998.  It is hoped that through this
initiative,
enthusiastically welcomed by those governing Lebanon, many of the
country's estimated 3 million citizens will meet those participating in
the
Reconciliation Walk.

"I have a challenge for you," Hand said.  "Come to Lebanon in 1998.  If
you can't
come, find someone to go in your place; spread the word.  I am convinced
that we
can and should send large numbers of participants to Lebanon."

 "Until recently, we expected to keep a fairly low profile in Lebanon,
but now
things have changed," said Lynn Green, director of the Reconciliation
Walk.
"Thank you so much for working together with us for this historic
opportunity."

Information on participating in the Reconciliation Walk's time in Lebanon

is available on the world wide web:
<http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/reconciliation> or
 by e-mail: <Reconciliation@compuserve.com>

      * * *
Christy Risser is serving as public information officer for the
 Reconciliation Walk with support from MBM and the Mennonite Middle East
Reference Group. To participate in a segment of the Reconciliation Walk,
contact Jorge Vallejos at MBM at 219-294-7523 or <Jorge@MBM.org>